Monday, February 22, 2010

Anmari

(“Ann-muh-REEE”)
“What I need to do is be able to drive iMovie.
It’s on my machine; I’ve dickered with it a little, but I have no manual, so I’m stupefied.”
Anmari Linardi (“lin-ARE-deee”) used to be a photographer at the mighty Mezz during my employ, and also used to do their web-site, mainly because she could.
This seemed to be how duties were assigned; e.g. I ended up doing the web-site because I got so I could.
Anmari was an excellent photographer.
I used to call her my illustrator. I could depend on her to give me the great photos the web-site needed.
Not just artistic photographs, but artistic photographs that illustrated.
Anmari left, and I later retired.
She’s one of my vaunted “ne’er-do-wells.”
The Ne’er-do-Wells are an e-mail list of all those I send my blogs to.
The Ne’er-do-Wells also all have reprehensible reputations.
They’re not tub-thumping Conservatives prompted by Limbaugh.
“Don’t take me outta your ne’er-do-well list,” Anmari told me. “It’s a status thing.”
So Anmari agreed to come over.
She had just assembled her own movie-trailer on her ‘pyooter, so I figured she could show me how to drive iMovie.
iMovie is a computer software application for editing movie-files (or video-files). It comes with OS-X, Apple’s current computer operating-system.
“I have this old VHS video of a restored railroad steam-locomotive, which I panned for a long time.”
I’m a railfan, and have been since I was a child.
“It’s great, and I’ve always wanted to edit it down into something I could post on You-Tube.”
So we wedged a time-slot into our blizzard of medical appointments and errands.
“That guy has an early G4 MAC tower I sold him years ago,” her husband Andrew said.
Andrew works at Mac Shack on Penfield Road near Rochester, where I’ve bought TONS of Apple Macintosh computer equipment.
“You wanna do what?” Anmari said.
“That’s serious editing. There’s no way what you got will do any such thing. A 20-minute video-file is HUGE. Your rig won’t even swallow it.”
“Yeah, I was worried about that,” I said. “But I was planning to upgrade anyway. I need portability; a laptop.”
We were challenged. My VCR is on-the-blink. No video output. It wouldn’t even play my video.
My TV may be out too. Sound but no picture. But that may be because my VCR has no video output. My TV cable is routed through my VCR.
But I have Eye-TV, a computer software and hardware application that puts video on your ‘pyooter, e.g. various TV channels.
I could get the local channels on my ‘pyooter, but not the VHS tape. No video-output from the VCR.
So we stabbed around. Anmari is far more computer-savvy than me, plus she hasn’t had a stroke. I get by on what intelligence I have left, which is apparently more than the average person.
First was figuring out how to get the local TV channels on my ‘pyooter; in other words, figuring out the Eye-TV.
There were already a few things I knew, so with Anmari driving we got the local TV channels on the ‘pyooter.
Next was recording, another function I already knew. But it was generating Eye-TV files, a format iMovie wouldn’t recognize.
Next requirement was to convert the Eye-TV files for iMovie. She Googled something that suggested some arcane procedure.
It was written out in some contorted instruction, and my ability to read and understand such things is compromised by my stroke.
But I knew I had also seen an “export” function somewhere, so we poked around some more.
We did find an “export” menu item, but it wasn’t what I had seen.
Didn’t matter. The menu export did the same thing, plus it could export for iMovie.
We thereafter fooled around with iMovie, and it looks like I could drive it. I’m not totally clueless any more.
So I suppose a new killer rig will replace what I currently have.
The consideration is my current rig was overkill when I bought it.
It’s amazing whatcha can get for $2,100; about the cost of my current rig.

• The “mighty Mezz” is the Canandaigua Daily-Messenger newspaper, from where I retired over four years ago. Best job I ever had. (“Canandaigua” [“cannon-DAY-gwuh”] is a small city nearby where we live in Western NY. The city is also within a rural town called “Canandaigua.” The name is Indian, and means “Chosen Spot.” —It’s about 15 miles away.)
• I had a stroke October 26, 1993.
• “VCR” equals video-cassette-recorder. What I actually have is a combination DVD recorder and VCR — a dubber. —It also plays.

1 Comments:

Blogger Anmari said...

Grady, you ROCK! Firstly, cuz ya' own (and probably secretly drive) a canary-yeller Honda Crotch-Rocket but mostly cuz of your incredibly cool/brilliant/amazing wife, Linda. Oh, yeah... You're a damn good writer, too. ;-)

-Anmari

2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home