Saturday, February 20, 2010

Travel mug

Herewith, pictured at left, is our new travel-mug.
Also pictured is our old travel-mug, an item I picked up at a convenience story in Williamsport, PA.
It’s “Gulliver.” I think that convenience store was selling Gulliver’s coffee, too.
We never were happy with it.
It has a sip slit, but it’s recessed in the top. So sipping from it is a guaranteed coffee spill all over your lap. You can’t conform your mouth to keep it from spilling.
Can’t be done; physically impossible.
So I switched to just making coffee in it — drip-filtered. And drinking from it without the top when we traveled.
An open container. Don’t tip it.
Our van has 16 cup-holders; beat that!
The old travel-mug became grungy, and I don’t think it was stainless steel.
It was actually plastic, with an inside container made to look like it was stainless steel.
The outside container was clear see-through plastic, and water was leaking into the bottom; somehow.
Well, supposedly making hot coffee into plastic is toxic.
We were worried toxins might be leaching into the coffee.
Worst of all was the green mold forming where it leaked. And the water that leaked inside.
There was no way to get it apart.
Green mold galore!
Finally we tired of it.
It was getting disgusting.
The new travel-mug is Thermos®; actual stainless steel.
Via Amazon online, and reviewed semi-poorly.
That’s because people are upset the top, a mere press fit, pops off when shaken.
Not a problem to me. (I ain’t addin’ creme & sugar.)
I’m only making coffee in it, and we will try the sip-slit it has.
If it spills, I can drink out of it as an open container.

• We live in the small rural town of West Bloomfield in Western NY, southeast of Rochester. “Williamsport” is on the way to Altoona (“al-TOON-uh”), PA, location of
Horseshoe Curve (the “mighty Curve”), by far the BEST railfan spot I have ever been to. Horseshoe Curve is now a national historic site. It was a trick used by the Pennsylvania Railroad to get over the Allegheny mountains without steep grades. Horseshoe Curve was opened in 1854, and is still in use. I am a railfan, and have been since I was a child. —I’ve been there hundreds of times, since it’s only about five hours away.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home