Thursday, October 08, 2009

“Various vagaries”

This morning’s (Thursday, October 8, 2009) dream (nightmare?) was about the various vagaries of production of this here newspaper, which despite the noisy blusterings of tub-thumping Conservatives, ain’t easy.
Anyone who reads this blog, assuming there are any at all, knows I had a stroke almost 16 years ago on October 26, 1993.
They also know I worked at this newspaper almost 10 years after that.
It was the best job I ever had, and over those years I did a number of things, and found flower in doing computer functions.
What I remember is doing obituaries (“obits”), and the “Night-Spots” column for the weekly “Steppin Out” tabloid.
I eventually ended up doing this here web-site, although earlier iterations thereof.
The last one I was doing was iteration #3, the paid web-site.
This newspaper’s current web-site is probably iteration #6 or so.
The “Night-Spots” file was a large computer file I’d update weekly by overwriting.
Doing so meant phonecalls, or accessing night-club web-sites.
It was tedious, but phonecalls were the main hairball.
My ability to do phonecalls had been compromised by my stroke, so I tended to not do them.
I always felt “Night-Spots” was poor because of my inability to do phonecalls, but I was told otherwise.
What I turned in was usually cut to fit.
I was told I was doing a fabulous job.
My dream was I had just completed my dreaded “Night-Spots” file, so I was ready to “send” it.
I had walked away from my cubical, and when I returned, my ‘pyooter was gone.
This sort of thing could happen in the production of a newspaper, although in my case it never did.
I walked around nervously trying to scarf up an unused computer — I did this occasionally when mine crashed.
But no luck.
Much worried jabbering at other work-stations, but no unused ‘pyooters.
My “Night-Spots” file would be needed for the next day’s newspaper production, but I had no way to “send” it.

• “This here newspaper” is the Canandaigua Daily-Messenger newspaper, from where I retired almost four years ago. —This blog also appears on their web-site.
• “The ‘Steppin Out’ tabloid” was a weekly tabloid magazine of local entertainment, etc., published with the newspaper.
• The “current web-site” is MPNnow; “MPN” standing for Messenger-Post newspapers. (A few years ago the Messenger bought nine weekly suburban newspapers [suburbs of Rochester] when their publisher retired; the “Post” papers.)
• “‘Pyooter” is computer.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home