Saturday, September 26, 2009

It’s coming.......

......Control of our cars by Big Motha via satellite.
Yesterday (Friday, September 25, 2009) I worked out at the Canandaigua YMCA.
Over-and-over again an OnStar® ad was on the silent wall-mounted plasma-babies.
The Canandaigua YMCA has three wall-mounted wide-screen high-definition flat-screen TVs. They are permanently tuned to CNN, the Weather-Channel, and a sports channel.
No sound; just closed-captioning.
The ad was a chase of a stolen car from the view of the video-camera in the pursuit car.
The police-cruiser was chasing a stolen GM product equipped with OnStar®.
It zigged and zagged trying to evade the police.
But suddenly it pulled over, apparently disabled from on-high.
“OnStar can stop deadly car chases,” it trumpeted.
I don’t like it.
Other factors can be at play, wherein the judgment of the driver is better.
Just recently, I got stopped for “running a red light,” although I never saw red.
“I coulda slammed on my brakes for that yellow light,” I thought later. “I almost did.”
But I’d been followed a long way by a Glowering Intimidator in a green full-size Ford pickup.
He may have turned south when I turned north, but I thought he might still be behind me.
A prudent driver factors in stuff like that. It’s called ‘defensive driving.’”
Some roadside ‘pyooter gizmo slams on my brakes and I get rear-ended.
And what happens when Big Motha dials back Granny to the speed-limit on the Thruway; 65 mph instead of 80+?

• “Plasma-babies” are what my loudmouthed macho brother-from-Boston calls all high-definition wide/flat-screen TVs. Other technologies beside plasma are available, but he calls them all “plasma-babies.”
• A “Glowering Intimidator” is a tailgater, named after Dale Earnhardt, deceased, the so-called “intimidator” of NASCAR fame, who used to tailgate race-leaders and bump them at speed until they let him pass.
• “‘Pyooter” is computer.
• “Thruway” is the NY state Thruway, Interstate 90.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home