Wednesday, September 16, 2009

“Helloooo; knock-knock......”

I’ve patronized the Honeoye Falls MarketPlace.
I’ve exited the store, and am calmly walking across the parking-lot toward my car.
A tattered black Ford Explorer fires up to my right; it’s backup lights come on.
I’m almost to it, so I start to walk by.
WOOPS! She’s coming right at me.
“Woe-woe-woe,” a pedestrian cries.
I jump quickly to my left, still spry enough I guess, out of the way of the backing Explorer.
I say “Hi” to its driver, who has kept right on backing into the exit-lane; she woulda run over me if I hadn’t jumped.
Cellphone people; she’s yammering on her cellphone. She has it clamped to her ear.
Well, HEX-KYOOZE me, but I thought cellphone use while driving was illegal in this here state.
Beyond that, does cellphone use absolve one of looking before they back up?
Hell-oooo; knock-knock. Anybody home?

• “Honeoye (‘HONE-eee-oy’) Falls” is the nearest town to where we live in western New York, a rural town about five miles away.
• “MarketPlace” is a large independent supermarket in nearby Honeoye Falls we often buy groceries at.
• RE: “Still spry enough I guess.....” —65 years old.
• “Cellphone use while driving” is illegal in NY state.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home