Wednesday, April 01, 2009

“Thanks for yielding.”

We are headed west on Monroe St., the main drag west outta Honeoye Falls.
I am taking Linda to a CT-scan in Rochester; she probably coulda done it herself, but she’s “automotively challenged.”
“Automotively challenged” isn’t something the average person understands, since they aren’t.
But it’s something I’ve lived with over 41 years; frustrating at first, but on balance not that big a deal.
My brother-in-Boston goes utterly ballistic; he wouldn’t understand at all.
We are in the CR-V.
Far up the street I see a black Chevrolet Envoy coming east, the kind of car that will lose half its value if GM goes bankrupt.
It’s probably lost a lot already, because it’s a bloated SUV.
The eastbound lane is partially blocked by a work-crew; they’ve parked against the curb, but since there’s no shoulder, they’re blocking three-quarters of the lane.
I’m closer, so under normal circumstances the Envoy would yield, but not in this case.
The driver probably voted for Dubya, so he could do whatever he wanted (“Git-R-Dun”).
Unsignaled he swings left into my lane, so I hafta stop.
“Thanks for yielding,” I say.
No idea if it had a Dubya-sticker; I didn’t look.

  • “We” is my wife of 41+ years “Linda” and I. She had lymphatic cancer. It was treatable — she survived. The CT-scan was to determine if she had any residual cancer.
  • “Honeoye Falls” is the nearest town to where we live in western New York, a rural town about five miles away.
  • “My brother-in-Boston” is Jack Hughes, my all-knowing, blowhard younger brother, the macho ad-hominem king, who noisily badmouths everything I do or say. He’s a Git-R-Dun person.
  • The “CR-V” is our 2003 Honda CR-V SUV.
  • “GM” is of course General Motors.
  • “Dubya” is George W. Bush, our previous president; proclaimed by my siblings as “the greatest president of all time.” A “Dubya-sticker” is a Bush-Cheney 2004 bumper-sticker. All insane traffic-moves seem to involve Bush-supporters. They seem to think they have the right.

    Labels:

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home