Monday, September 15, 2008

Ike


(Photo by the so-called “old guy” with the dreaded and utterly reprehensible Nikon D100.)

The remnants of Hurricane Ike blasted through last night (Sunday, September 14, 2008); essentially a short, torrid wind-storm.
It flipped our swing (pictured), and then took out the electricity.
So all night we listened to our allegedly “whisper-quiet” stand-by generator.
Well, it ain’t a roaring Harley, but when the recently deceased 94 year old nosy neighbor’s stand-by, identical to ours, is on across the street, we can hear it.
Our stand-by is also right beneath our bedroom window.
A better location might have been out back (facing east), but that would have meant -a) extensive gas piping, and -b) long electrical cabling to our electrical box, which is in the northwest corner.
The stand-by runs on natural gas.
Location thereof didn’t get the kind of prethought our house-design got.
The stand-by ran all night, but it wasn’t enough to make sleep utterly impossible.
Linda had to work all day at the post-office. So I took our dog to the so-called elitist country-club for a walk. (That is, I get walked by the dog. “Yippee; I can get that!” WHAM!)
When I returned, the stand-by was off, and power returned.
Now to see if I have Internet........

  • RE: “‘Old guy’ with the dreaded and utterly reprehensible Nikon D100.......” —My macho, blowhard brother-from-Boston, who is 13 years younger than me, calls me “the old guy” as a put-down (I also am the oldest). I also am loudly excoriated by all my siblings for preferring a professional camera (like the Nikon D100) instead of a point-and-shoot. This is because I long ago sold photos to nationally published magazines.
  • “Linda” is my wife of 40+ years. Like me she’s retired, but she works part-time at the West Bloomfield post-office.
  • “The so-called elitist country-club” is nearby Boughton (“BOW-tin” as in “OW”) Park, where I run and we walk our dog. It was called that long ago by an editor at the Canandaigua Daily-Messenger newspaper, where I once worked, because it will only allow taxpayers of the three towns that own it to use it. We are residents of one of those towns.
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home