Monday, October 08, 2007

reboot generation

Last night (Sunday, October 7, 2007) something strange and mysterious happened.
Mysterious, that is, to those of us who aren’t a part of the reboot generation.
We get our TV via the cable, direct to our DVR/VCR, which is cable-ready, which feeds our TV.
In other words, our DVR/VCR has to be on to get TV. The DVR/VCR is in effect the cable-box.
This is how it’s been for years. Our dreaded Beta VCR was cable-ready, as was the VHS VCR that replaced it.
The VCR (the second VHS VCR) that replaced the first VHS VCR, which still works, is in the basement having not been turned over to charity yet.
It too was cable-ready.
So in the 17+ years we’ve been out here we’ve never had a cable-box.
All VCRs were cable-ready.
17 years ago, when our house was built, cable-TV wasn’t out front yet, but it was strung very soon, and I already had cable buried to the house, so we went cable as soon as it was installed.
So here we were last night watching the prerecorded local news, and suddenly no sound.
“Must be our ISP,” I said.
First we thought it was their end, but then I noticed the live feed, America’s Funniest Videos, wasn’t getting sound either.
I installed the cab-ride tape I had been watching; no sound.
AFV was replaced by Extreme Home Mayhem, Ty Pennington exploding silently out of their tour-bus, bellowing silently into an electronical bullhorn.
NOW WHAT? We poked around, and everything was hooked up as it should be.
Welcome to the reboot generation. When all else fails, reboot.
I turned the whole stinkin’ kabosh off, and dished out another entree in the kitchen.
I returned, and turned the whole kabosh back on again. VIOLA; sound. Pennington and his blue-helmeted minions tearing down a perfectly good house with roaring bulldozers.

  • RE: “Must be our ISP.......” ISP equals Internet-Service-Provider. When my all-knowing blowhard macho brother-from-Boston was here last July he configured a wireless connection to his laptop ‘pyooter from my wireless router, and then loudly blamed my ISP when his Internet was wonky. (I get loudly badmouthed for everything.)
  • “The cab-ride tape” is one of my train-videos, where the video-camera is set up in the cab of the railroad-locomotive, recording an entire train run.
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home