Friday, April 06, 2007

Negatory

The other day (probably Wednesday, April 4, 2007) I inadvertently hit some magic-keys that flip-flopped my display to negative: what you see in the pik.
The mighty MAC and Photoshop.
Negatory.

(At this point expect tiresome and utterly predictable blustering from the almighty Bluster-King about the self-evident inferiority of the Macintosh platform, and how I should dump my Apple G4-tower into Canandaigua Lake, and get a proper PC like him!)
Well, HEX-KYOOZE me, but I think the rig did exactly what I inadvertently told it to do; in fact, I bet a Windoze PC could do the same.
OS-X has other magic keys; like the one I don’t know about that puts the monitor to sleep. —All of a sudden: black screen!
Like all other sleep-functions, I can wake everything back up by hitting an arrow-key.
But reversing a negative-display, I had no idea.
I had no idea what I inadvertently hit, so tried various combinations, and nothing worked.
I also tried checking my “OS-X for Dummies,” and saw nothing.
Linda was at the post-office, so finally I gave up, hoping we could fix things when she got back.
I started fiddling FlagOut in reverse; e.g. respond to Jack with white text on a black field. Highlight was more-or-less invisible.
At about 5 p.m. I decided to try MacShack; I knew who would answer the phone, and thought the solution would be simple.
“Open your ‘System-Preferences,’ and then go to ‘Universal Access.’”
I poked around and got a toolbox toggle that threw the display back to positive.
(Linda was glad I had called MacShack; she would have thought the monitor had tanked. I had a hunch it was a magic-key.)
The keystroke-shortcut for such a move was on the toolbox, so I tried it; and it reversed the display back to negative. Hit the keys again and it went back to positive; a toggle. The keystroke-shortcut is Control-Option-Apple (Command)-Asterisk.
Windoze probably has this too; which means if you flip-flop your display, the pik (4896) will appear as it should. But I tried it, and 4896 was B&W; and would only appear right if I went from 256 colors to millions.
I had to do the actual flip-flop with Photoshop — an “invert.” OS-X does a “screen-shot,” but it ain’t the reversed display. It’s the display-info; which means the screen-shot looks normal. The display is what’s getting reversed.

  • “The almighty Bluster-King” and “Jack” are my all-knowing brother-in-Boston who loudly declares the Macintosh platform is utterly reprehensible and a joke.
  • “FlagOut” is our family’s web-site.
  • Linda” is my wife. Together we try to solve ‘pyooter hairballs.
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home