Tuesday, February 06, 2007

SPAM

Like most people who have computer e-mail, I gets tons of Spam.
My MyWay e-mail account has a spam-filter, and I have it wicked up fairly high. Once in a while something shows up in my bulk-mail folder.
But the spammers have not yet found my MyWay account.
What they send to is the PoPserver — the great e-mail server in the sky.
This is what my old RoadRunner e-mail accessed. MyWay can access it too, but their filters only work on e-mail direct to MyWay.
My old RoadRunner e-mail didn’t have a spam-filter; or if it did, they had it so buried I never turned it on. My Netscape e-mail didn’t have a bulk-folder.
So every day I download all my old RoadRunner e-mail, weed out what matters, and delete the rest (there is a “check-all”).
The whole process takes about two minutes. Processing viable e-mails takes a lot longer.
Last night (Sunday, October 22) I noticed one entitled “Let’s Party” from Donna (?).
Are they kidding? What a come-on! If they only knew......
We’re not party-people.
“Let’s Party” was probably a come-on for refinancing your mortgage, or Viagara at a discount.
I didn’t even open it. It got dumped.
And then there are those that purposely misspell to defeat the spam-filters. How many misspellings have I seen of “Viagara,” and “pharmacy?” If Exelon lays off, Jack could become a spammer.
My MyWay is a lot like Yahoo-mail. It can be accessed from the Internet. At the shadow of the mighty De Land water-tower I processed my e-mail from the De Land library.
It has auto-sign and auto-respond. It also has a calendar, but I don’t know about bathroom-bells. (Bong-bong-bong-bong! “Time to sit on the can.”)
RoadRunner e-mail could also be accessed over the Internet, but was accessing the PoPserver. I hardly did it. I had Night-Spots dives e-mailing my RoadRunner, so mostly I was doing it at work — I never did it on-the-road.
MyWay is since I retired. Compared to Yahoo, there are no pop-ups.

(“Jack” is my brother-in-Boston. He is a construction-supervisor for Exelon, and thinks spelling doesn’t matter......)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home