Sunday, February 04, 2007

A tale of two pitchers

The Keed.
Pitcher #2 (right) arrived last week from some collector in Tennessee.
It’s an exact match for pitcher #1 (left), except for one problem: it’s bigger.
#1 goes clear back to Houghton, purloined from the Gaoyadeo dining-hall, where Linda and I met in the vaunted Gaoyadeo dishroom.
It’s Shenango-china, and Houghton had 89-bazilyun items.
It’s a “creamer,” but Houghton used them to serve milk for breakfast-cereal: one to each table, which seated four.
Gaoyadeo was all Shenango-china: plates, cups/saucers, mugs, bowls; the whole kabosh. I also have a treasured coffee-mug from Houghton (also pictured) I hardly ever use. The pitcher has the right capacity; the mug is too small.
When I first came to Rochester (DREAM ALERT!) I would heat soup in that pitcher with a plug-in coffee-coil.
I didn’t have kitchen privileges at 136 Chili, so had to heat soup in the pitcher to eat in.
Eating out (at a restaurant) cost money. It was running down my meager savings.
Pitcher #1 was retired when we got married; soon we were living at 644 Averill, which had a kitchen.
Pitcher #1 sat for decades until I started drinking coffee at the mighty Mezz. It had the capacity for one hit each of regular and decaf from their coffee-machine.
But their decaf was like water, so I began making it myself at home with the dreaded Melitta (as opposed to Mylanta, an antacid) filter-system.
I’d make it into pitcher #1, and then pour the contents into two plastic 24-ounce Coke-bottles (I can already hear the noisy bombast coming).
Linda was afraid the plastic Coke-bottles might be leaching poisonous toxins into the hot coffee, so I started making it into an old plastic thermos I won at Transit in a bus-roadeo. —I’d pour the contents into pitcher #1, which I took along to work.
That was what I was still using when I retired.
After I retired I went back to making coffee directly into pitcher #1, but.......
....Linda was concerned pitcher #1 had tiny cracks in the bottom, and a gap in the glazing had worn through the rim.
She was afraid lead might be leaching into my coffee, so set about searching for a replacement on the dreaded Internet.
Viola; she discovered #2, which looked like an exact duplicate of #1.
Except it’s bigger; so big I can’t put my Melitta filter-funnel on it.
So I make coffee into #1, and pour it into #2. (NOISE ALERT!)
Hopefully some day we can find the same capacity as #1; perhaps with different-colored striping.
Pin-striping on Shenango-china isn’t just dark-green. There is also dark-blue and maroon.
A glass measuring-pitcher has the same capacity as #1, but is too big for the Melitta funnel.

  • My brother-in-Boston noisily insists my year-long residence at 136 Chili Ave. in Rochester back in 1966-67 was “just a dream.”
  • Every time I mention that I make coffee with the Melitta filter-system, he noisily insists I mean Mylanta, the antacid.
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home