Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Bimbo

Last night (Monday, February 5, 2007; my 63rd birthday), Bimbo was on the TV hawking the new Suzuki SX4 crossover (this may not work; IE kept forcing me to “force-quit” on the Suzy-Q site; Netscape worked).
“Bimbo” is all that’s left of “Vinnie and Angelo,” purveyors of Irondequoit-ah Dodge-ah, except now it’s Irondequoit-ah Suzuki.
“Vinnie and Angelo” posed as Italians (they are......) with Grandma, a little old Jewish lady that posed as an Italian. “Mah boyz; Vinnie and Angelo.”
Bimbo (Angelo) weighed about 350 pounds, and wasn’t related to Vinnie — except in their ads.
Angelo made jokes about his weight: Vinnie ate right, Angelo all wrong.
The best ad was when Vinnie and Angelo were sick, Grandma delivered TLC, chicken-soup and various medications, and soon Vinnie and Angelo were bouncing up-and-down on their sick-bed like Jack-a-Bill on my mother’s bed.
The image of Bimbo jumping up-and-down on that bed is one I’ll never forget; but it wasn’t enough to get me to buy a Dodge-ah. That’s back when Lido’s K-cars ruled the land.
Grandma died a while ago, and Vinnie and Angelo disappeared for a while.
But now Bimbo is back, and Irondequoit-ah Dodge-ah is now Irondequoit-ah Suzuki.
Thankfully he’s not bouncing up-and-down on a sick-bed, but he makes a fool of himself hawking Suzukis: “Do you know what you get for $89 a month from Honda? A lawnmower.” (Start Honda lawnmower.) “Do you know what you get for $89 a month from Toyota? A forklift!” (Display Toyota forklift.)
I guess Vinnie is gone; not the blowhard Bimbo is, so ice-flow for him.
Bimbo mentioned that the SX4 is All-Wheel Drive; a trigger-word for my wife.
“Ever think you might want to try one of them?” she asked.
I kept quiet, but all I could think of was “I can still see that oily, black pillar-of-smoke towering above that ship.”
And to me, that would be the same as the new Honda CR-V, which I already tried. A “crossover” rides high; it ain’t a car. PASS!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home