Monday, October 09, 2006

Totally unsolicited

The floor-slab contractor for the shed showed up this morning (Tuesday, September 12), totally unannounced.
We were setting out to take the dogs to the so-called elitist country-club about 7:30 a.m. and noticed him in the driveway.
We are doing a concrete floor-slab instead of a wood floor, primarily to keep from building habitat for critters. Our 93-year-old nosy neighbor across the street has a shed with a wooden floor, and it harbors chipmunks under the shed.
The contractor marked off his digging area, but had a few questions: like “where should I set the Strong-Ties?”
No definite plans; just a contorted spek-sheet that specifies the general location of Strong-Ties. A general plan, that covers any and all shed-constructions, is not specific about Strong-Tie location.
So we put in a call to the shed-place in New Hampshire (local Home-Depot, Bubba), and they’re supposed to get back to us in a couple hours. “No hurry,” the contractor said. “I only plan to do the sub-base today. I ain’t pourin’ til next week.”
“Pour?” I asked. “ I’m told by my brother in Boston concrete gets placed.”
“Well, it pours outta the truck!”
“Try to tell him that,” my wife said. “Apparently an engineer thing.”
“Don’t get me started,” the contractor said. “I could tell you stories.”
(Totally unsolicited.)
“I just finished doing a huge concrete floor for an airport hanger with a 60-foot overhead door.”
“‘Sure you got this thing right?’ I asked. ‘When I finish this floor, your door-header will be three inches too low.’”
“‘Don’t quibble with me. You’re just a contractor, and I’m an engineer.’”
“Now the engineer has to figure out how to raise his header three inches.”
“Them engineers oughta get outta their construction-trailers into the real world.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home