Tuesday, June 01, 2021

Born in the wrong century

—“My Internet is via my iPhone,” I kept saying.
Every morning the first thing I do after getting up is fire up this laptop.
FireFox, my Internet browser, is still on. As is Apple’s Safari. Although I use FireFox, much to Apple’s angry chagrin. They keep exhorting me to default to Safari: no way José!
(I only use Safari for Facebook, since Facebook doesn’t seem to like FireFox.)
I fire up three websites, two of which are streamers.
First I fire up https://www.yourclassical.org/, my source for background music.
They have 13 audio streams, and the one I usually fire up first is “favorites” since it’s an alarm clock.
Bach, Beethoven, Mendelsohn, Brahms, Stravinsky, Saint-Saëns, Copeland, et al; all warhorses.
Later I switch to “chamber music;” it’s more placid = background music.
I no longer listen to WXXI-FM, the public-radio classical music station out of Rochester.
I got sick of opera and begathons. Plus there are other programs on WXXI I can’t stand.
Then I fire up my blog-edit link, to see if anyone hit my most recent post overnight.
I don’t actually Facebook or e-mail my blog-links until the next day, to see if anyone hit direct.
Usually there’s one direct hit; it’s probably my friend in California. Her reader.
I never know who my hitters are, just that my blog was hit.
There’s one other person I know savvy enough to hit direct, so I’m hoping for two hits. (She’s a one of my favorite “friends who happen to be female:” GASP!”)
My third FireFox fire-up is my RailStream video-streamer from Cresson, PA. I can watch Norfolk Southern trains passing through Cresson.
That’s the railroad my brother and I always photograph. RailStream has many other railfan video-streams, but the one I watch is Cresson.
I glanced at this laptop later, and its display had gone dark.
Nothing new. The only thing that keeps my display awake is streaming video.
I probably left it on BlogSpot or “classical.org" by mistake. I hafta leave it on RailStream.
I switched to RailStream and dead. I did a RailStream refresh.
Minutes passed. “Have I lost my Internet again?” Time to reboot my router.
I pulled my router-plug, and a message appeared saying “an Internet hotspot is available:” my iPhone.
At incredible risk, I decided to “join.”
Clueless as usual; no idea what is going on.
I could use explanation, but “your trouble is you think too much!”
My brother in Massachusetts will badmouth Apple — that I should switch to Windoze.
He also will badmouth me as stupid and rebellious. An aging, outta-touch geezer unwilling to kowtow to his incredible all-knowing wisdom.
The tiny Wi-Fi icon on this laptop also changed: no longer was it the fan thingy. Now it was some chain-link thing.
Suddenly everything was back: RailStream, classical.org, and BlogSpot.
I refreshed all to see if I had Internet. Without Internet they won’t refresh.
All did, and my router was still unplugged.
My Internet was coming from that iPhone hotspot.
Born in the wrong century! (And using a MAC GASP!”)

• “Windoze” is Microsoft “Windows.” It used to be slower than MAC, but seems to have caught up.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home