Wednesday, February 10, 2021

The winner is……

—“Today’s winner is *****,” I kept saying to myself as a drove home Wednesday from Canandaigua after having done my aquatic-therapy class at the YMCA, and shopping my supermarket.
Yrs Trly has three pretty lady-friends at that YMCA, and no experience whatsoever dealing with women.
Into the fray,” I always say to myself as I exit the locker-room into the swimming-pool area.
“Who am I gonna muck up today? Who am I gonna strike sparks with today; am I gonna strike sparks with any of my lady-friends?”
I been doing aquatic balance training for three years or more.
I noticed *****-the-lifeguard almost immediately; she’s rather attractive.
How in the wide, wide world am I ever gonna be able to become friends with her?
Just LOOK dude; “NO WAY will ***** have anything to do with you! You are nothing!”
A few years ago, for some unknown reason, ***** said hello to me out of the clear blue sky. She was probably just being sociable.
“Why is she saying hello to me? I’m the lifelong scumbag.
Gotta say hello back. Gotta get up my nerve.”
“Did you say hello to me earlier?”
“Yes I did,” ***** said.
“Sorry I’m late, but hello back.”
So began my wild and crazy attempt to befriend a lady to whom I was attracted.
And somehow or other, despite numerous flubs and foul-ups, plus at least one real zinger after which I thought I’d lost her forever, we became friends.
***** is not the easiest person to talk to. She’s kind of distant; her eyes wander.
And no wonder: some of the things I said to her were stupid. No experience dealing with women at all.
Yet she seems to wanna keep talking to me: we strike sparks occasionally.
She’s probably only rotating, but here she comes. Hooray-hooray; it looks like we’re gonna talk.
She’s not avoiding me.
I began trying to let her know I like meeting her. I always look for her when I check in per that YMCA’s Covid procedure.
I glance up into the pool area to see if she’s there, and if she is I knock on the window-glass to let her know I’m happy to see her.
That’s positive contact, with hopes it rubs off. It looked like Wednesday it did.
I’m gambling my acknowledging her gets a positive response. Not acknowledging her could be perceived as avoiding her. I don’t want that, scared or not.
I looked up there the other day, although I didn’t actually have to knock on the glass. Our eyes met and we waved at each other.
Perish the thought, I think that’s “happy to see ya,” and nothing more.
It looked like that made her happy too, and I was afraid it wouldn’t.
I also do this for others: tell ‘em, let ‘em know!Happy to see ya” is starting out on the right foot.
When I came into the pool-area later, ***** began rotating toward where I was, and attempted to begin a conversation.
Usually it’s me first.
I was already in the pool, and we were all wearing masks, so I couldn’t hear her.
***** stooped down to poolside so she could talk directly to me.
Readers this is mind-blowing, a pretty lady wants to talk directly to me?
I’m not used to this; this is not the way I was raised. 70+ years of “NO PRETTY LADY WILL HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH YOU!”
And then there was the eye-contact, which I got once before. ***** tends to look off into the distance, which is okay, since I do it myself.
But once before, and this time, fabulous eye-contact, and she was clearly smiling. Her eyes were sparkling.
I’m not used to this, readers: no pretty lady will ever smile at you!”
***** is married; and there’s no evil intent by either of us.
Why in the world she’d ever get any pleasure outta talking with me I’ll never know. I’m not a stud, I’m 77 years old, and I’m way over the hill, although I don’t remember a hill.
Charm mayhap? Talk probably; I noticed women love talking. And ***** and I talk.
Her stooping down to talk to me for 5-10 minutes just blows my mind.
As we parted I told her I was happy I met her; and she told me she was happy she met me.
I admit perverse intent, our striking sparks negates my hoary childhood.

• RE: “Rotate……” —Canandaigua's YMCA swimming-pool has two lifeguards; one on the lifeguard stand, and the other on the other side of the pool. Every 10-15 minutes they swap positions = “rotate.”

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home