Tuesday, September 08, 2020

Toilet unplugged

—“I think it actually works,” I said to myself as I flushed the toilet in (our) my main bathroom the umpteenth time.
It didn’t overfill nor gurgle, and it actually flushed.
Last Friday I began preparing supper, stewed tomatoes and a grilled-cheese sandwich.
Sadly, my tomato-lady died over eight years ago. We used to grow tomatoes, and my wife canned ‘em.
Our garden is now fallow, and I buy canned tomatoes at the supermarket.
The supermarket tomatoes are whole or diced. They have to be chopped up in my food-processor.
One tomato wrapped itself around the cutter-blade, so I had to take action.
Insanity began. I mistakenly poured the tomato-slurry into the food-processor housing. I thereafter emptied the slurry into a sauce pan, but lost a lot on the floor.
I sopped up the spilled tomatoes with paper-towels, so now I had many soggy paper-towels.
What I usually do with soggy paper-towels is flush ‘em down the toilet, which could take three or four paper-towels per flush.
The spill generated six or more, which I balled up and put in my toilet.
BIG MISTAKE! = My toilet plugged.
I got my plunger, and filled a bucket of water. I’ve unplugged that toilet many times.
That toilet would drain slowly, but it wouldn’t flush.
Lots of plunging amidst eight-to-twelve more buckets of water.
That toilet was plugged royally. I expected a plumber would hafta snake out the sewer line.
That toilet is one of three. The other two worked, although the one next to my bedroom is Lo-Flo, and likes to plug.
The third is in my garage. It works, but it’s distant.
So now I had two working toilets, although one is plug-prone, and the other is distant.
I let the dysfunctional toilet sit. Hopefully a night of sitting would disintegrate the clog.
No such luck! The next morning the toilet bowl was empty, but filled when I flushed. Given a full bowl of water, it would flush, followed by “gurgle-gurgle.”
The gurgling came from a nearby sink. Like maybe the clog was downstream from the toilet.
Another day passed with gurgling and water buckets.
This weekend had Labor-Day, so I couldn’t call my plumber Monday. So let it sit another day. At least I had two working toilets, and I hadn’t overflowed the nonworking one.
Then I used and flushed my bedroom toilet, and suddenly it too was plugged.
I plunged that one, and it flushed a bucket of water.
Later I tried the main toilet, and it flushed just like normal. No gurgling, no overfilling.
I tried it again, and it flushed just like it should.
That toilet plugged three days ago, and now suddenly it worked.
I could celebrate my success in getting it unplugged, but to me it was luck.

• RE: “our……” —The house I live in was designed by my wife and I. We originally designed in two bathrooms, but added a third in our garage in case my wife’s aunt (deceased) had to immediately hit a toilet after a long trip to our house.
• Occasionally my kid brother (from near Boston) would phonecall while I was trying to unplug a toilet. He’d wonder if the toilet was electric. (A smarty-pants!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home