Friday, September 11, 2020

Shoulda kept my mouth shut

—“Well, we all gotta go sometime,” my contact said.
“What, pray tell, does that have to do with what I just said?” I asked myself.
Mixing post-stroke aphasia with my newfound penchant for conversation can crash in flames.
I had gone into the new Weggers in Henrietta following a dental-appointment. I’d try to purchase my over-priced espresso coffee-beans, which I ran the Canandaigua Weggers out of.
I also needed cauliflower florets, and frozen asparagus spears, so I'd look for them too.
A guy was taking a large “family” bag of broccoli florets out of the freezer-display. Enough to feed a family of five in Bangladesh for a month.
“Yeah; that’s what ya gotta buy,” I said, except my speech was beginning to stumble.
He looked at me for explanation.
“The smaller bags don’t have the bigger florets the larger bags have,” but my speech was getting eratic.
I doubt he understood a word I said, so “we all gotta go sometime.”
Conversation is exhilarating! It contradicts the way I was brought up = “NO ONE WILL TALK TO YOU!”
But I hafta remember my speech often jams.

• “Weggers” is Wegmans, a large supermarket-chain based in Rochester where I often buy groceries. They have stores in both Canandaigua and Henrietta (NY).
• I had a stroke October 26th, 1993 from an undiagnosed heart-defect since repaired. I pretty much recovered. Just tiny detriments; I can pass for never having had a stroke. It slightly compromised my speech = difficulty finding and putting words together.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home