Friday, September 25, 2020

New wheels

Last ride? (iPhone photo by BobbaLew.)

—“How come yer buyin’ a new car?” A friend exclaimed. What’s wrong with what you got?”
“Nothing really,” I answered. “I could keep it another year or two, but my kid-brother in Boston, who recently retired and became part-owner in a used-car dealership that flips cars, suggested he could get me a newer car.
My brother delivered the car Wednesday afternoon. He drove all the way from Boston with my new car on a trailer. His partner came along to help, and cow-tow when commanded.
My brother retired from helping run an electricity power plant. But not yet from being a boss-man.
My previous car was eight years old at 113,000 miles, and was starting to rust. A few minor things didn’t work, and it was filthy.
So after the usual pot-shots and brotherly snide-remarks I said do it.
He bid a 2017 lease-return Ford Escape, and that’s what’s pictured.
Leather seats, and a blizzard of gizmos; the Titanium model, not “Titanic,” as my wife’s brother’s first wife would say.
Brother-to-brother, $1,000 for his dealership.
Seemed fair. He told me the amount he needed, and it was $2,000 less than I expected.
I’m getting a $25,000 used car for $22,000. My figures are probably wrong, but what he needed was way less than what I thought it would be.
Plus it’s brother-to-brother; he’s not just flipping a car. He tested it himself. His buyer is the guy who changed his diapers.
My old car has been stone reliable. Two batteries, two tire-sets, and a complete exhaust-system.
“You got a good one!” my service-guy says. Same Ford dealer I bought it from.
“No,” I thought to myself. “That car got a good owner. One who followed service recommendations, and didn’t scrimp.”
That Ford dealer probably took me to the cleaners when he sold me that car. I bought it not long after my wife died, and was in no shape to play the car-purchase game.
My brother demanded I test-drive my new car as soon as he arrived. All I did was drive it to my nearby town park so I could use their Porta-John.
Fevered machinations began. The license-plates on my old car were removed, along with a few other things I hadn’t got to yet. I already had removed a lot.
I hate to let my old car go. It’s been extremely reliable, but is filthy inside thanks to my previous dog, and the difficulty of arranging interior detailing.
I had it detailed once, but that dealer now only does their own cars. I’d do it myself, but various other things impinge: lawn to mow, laundry to do, bills to pay, and mainly writing. Also a dog to walk when I had one.
PRIORITIES MAN! Cleaning the interior of my previous car was back-burner.
Since it’s a Massachusetts car, my brother couldn’t sell directly to me. We had to involve a local car-dealer, my hairdresser, who also flips cars.
$450 for my hairdresser, plus fees, plus sales-tax equals $2,241.40. The gumint gets most, and my hairdresser is doing me a favor.
“So what do you think?” My brother asked.
“Don’t know yet,” I said. “Every time I go to drive it: ‘gimme the keys!’”
He then wanted to use some distant restaurant to which I never been, and then drive some roundabout route to get directly back to my house afterwards.
“I live here, and you don’t!” I shouted. “It’s the route I’d take if I could ever drive this thing.”
We also coulda had supper in Canandaigua, but heaven-forbid I suggest someplace other than that far-away restaurant he found via Google.
It's a nice car, but rather intimidating = gizmos I’ll never use. I felt so prior century I wonder how I attract ladies as well as I do.
All I want it to do is reliably cart me from pillar-to-post, and stay outta the shop!
We “paired” my iPhone to my new car. “Easy as pie,” my brother’s co-owner said. “Everything is right here on your steering wheel.”
“Same as my old car,” I commented. “I get a Bluetooth phone-call, and I cut it off by mistakenly hitting the wrong button. I hafta pull off the road to answer a Bluetooth, usually by ‘try it and see what happens.’
Don't forget you’re talking to a stroke survivor. I run on what’s left, and it ain’t all eight.
And everything involves computers. I’m using one right now, and I know how computers like to throw hairballs atcha.
What happens when my keyless-start fails? Call Triple-A!
If anything can fail, it will,” I said.
Even the back tailgate is electric. What if I hafta go manual? Call Triple-A again, and those Ford service-guys drain my wallet.
My impression is this car proves I’m completely out-of-it yet I have many lady-friends.
“Yeah,” my brother bellowed. “At least two blogs per week celebrating his lady-friend exploits.”
“Well yes,” I commented. “You didn’t have the parents I had. They weren’t telling you ‘no pretty lady will associate with you!’”
That it’s happening to me is mind-blowing.

“The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, Moves on...” (Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám)

• “The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, Moves on...” in Omar Khayyám’s Rubáiyát is a line I gleaned thanks to Houghton College’s liberal arts education. Class of 1966, and I never regretted it. (Too many things like that remain.)

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

Getting a new car is a Big Deal. And learning how to drive it is the next thing. Be patient with the learning curve! It is probably a lot safer than the one you gave up. I am still trying to adjust to a Subaru Forester which practically wants to drive itself. Had to give up the beauty of the clutch/shift habit, but yes, less work in traffic. (Where you live you don't see traffic like I do) I still have my stick shift Honda Element and that one I'll drive into the ground! Carries more of anything you need to take and then some. Moved old house to new house belongings more than once....

5:30 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Janet says -- complain, complain, lucky you to obtain a new car and I bet you don't have car payments. Buck up and enjoy the ride -- you can do it!

7:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Janet says -- complain, complain, lucky you to obtain a new car and I bet you don't have car payments. Buck up and enjoy the ride -- you can do it!

7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home