Saturday, April 20, 2019

“You’re angelic”

“Hooray-hooray! I was hoping I might run into you eventually.”
I said that to *****, a lifeguard at the Canandaigua YMCA swimming-pool where I do aquatic balance-training.
I have a story, if you wanna hear it,” I said.
“Sure,” she said. (This is so amazing.)
It’s not always ***** on duty.
***** and her husband live with her parents in an apartment in the town next to mine.
*****’s mother, age-88, also does the aquatic balance-training, so is in my class.
“I often partner with yer mother,” I told *****. “And I prefer yer mother, since we seem to be cut from the same cloth.
So here we were, your mother behind me, bopping across the pool.
Suddenly I heard your mother utter a nasty word, and it was a four-letter word. It started with ‘S,’ and ended with ‘T.’
‘I heard that,’ I shouted.
‘I can do a lot worse having a bad day at home,’ yer mother said.
‘Don’t forget I drove bus,’ I snapped.
What I usually say to people is “compared to some of the goofballs I parried driving bus, you’re angelic!”

• RE: “this is so amazing.....” —As a graduate of the Hilda Q. Walton School of Gender Relations, I am dumbfounded ladies like ***** wanna talk to me. Hilda was my neighbor and Sunday School Superintendent when I was a child. “No pretty girl will ever wanna talk to you!”
• For 16&1/2 years (1977-1993) I drove transit bus for Regional Transit Service (RTS) in Rochester, NY, a public employer, the transit-bus operator in Rochester and environs. My heart-defect caused stroke October 26th, 1993 ended that. I retired on medical-disability, and that defect was repaired. I recovered well enough to return to work at a newspaper; I retired from that over 13 years ago.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home