Monday, February 18, 2019

Sushi Chronicles

My dog walked me Sunday morning at Kershaw Park at the north end of Canandaigua lake.
I went onto the adjacent “City Pier” out into the lake. It’s concrete and paved = drivable. It passes the “historic boathouses” I recently pictured.
A gentleman approached as I walked back toward my car. “See any bait-shops open down there?”
“I wasn’t paying attention,” I said; “and I don’t think there are any bait-shops.”
“I need bait to feed my pet snakes,” he said.
“Well, that Wegmans does sell sushi,” I said.
He laughed.
Once they were handing out free sushi samples. “No thank you,” I said. “Where I come from they call that stuff bait,” and “ya forgot to cook this.”
He got it all; many don’t. — Just say it, I’ve learned. Repeat if necessary. If they still don’t get it, it’s not my fault!

• “Where I come from they call that stuff bait” is stolen from Terry Bradshaw in a skit with Doug Flutie. They order sushi, and Bradshaw, reflecting his proletarian roots, says “where I come from they call that stuff bait.” Ditto “ya forgot to cook this.” (The link is to the YouTube skit.)
• “Wegmans” is a large supermarket-chain based in Rochester, now expanding all over the northeast. There’s a Wegmans near Kershaw Park. Most of my grocery shopping is from that Wegmans, since I know the store.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home