Friday, April 20, 2018

Trapped


Killian #2. (iPhone photo by BobbaLew.)

“I’m talking to the phone.”
I have to say that lest anyone in earshot call 9-1-1.
Yrs Trly uses voice-recognition to do iPhone texts, lists, and e-mail. It’s fairly accurate if I speak slowly, although often I hafta edit.
“Bob, ya don’t need to do that,” says my hairdresser, the guy who got me into Smartphones. Uhm, no edit = undecipherable gibberish. I had a friend doing that. Hours got blown trying to figger what he said.
I attempted to do a text the other morning, and got stopped by wondrous technology. The “send” button is within the text window. Get near it, and yer text sends complete with errors.
I needed to fix something, but the text filled the window just shy of the “send” button.
Trapped. That text had to wait. Try to fix and yer text sends complete with errors.
I have a new dog; his name is “Killian.” Rescue Irish-setter #5. He’s nine years old, and is another divorce victim. I (we) already had one divorce victim, Irish-setter #4, rescue #2. —We also had a previous “Killian,” IS #5, rescue #3.
Killian-2’s previous owner wanted to be heavily-involved handing over his dog. We both have iPhones, so I texted him often, including iPhone pictures of my recently acquired Killian serenading critters, prewashing dishes/pans, etc.
Recently I texted questions to him directly from my vet.
The other day “I’m at my Town Clerk trying to register Killian. They need proof of neutering.”
Crash! Wondrous technology blossoms again. This time the text wouldn’t fully display in my iPhone, and wouldn’t scroll. I can’t experiment = “try this and see what happens.” My Town Clerk is waiting.
That text wasn’t sent.
Another put-aside. Who programs these things? Do they have any clue at all?
Voice-recognition is a nice idea, but fat lotta help it can be when you actually use it. Why is that “send” button where ya can accidentally breathe on it?
In which case I gotta send a correcting text. That’s the five minutes voice-recognition saved.
I know, if I became a tub-thumping CONSERVATIVE everything would be hunky-dory. Merrily goosestepping to Limbaugh and Sean Hannity.
I’m also told I was born in the wrong century.
Uhm, if some teenybopper starts addressing his Smartphone, I bet the adults call Homeland Security.

• RE: “I (we).....” —My wife died of cancer April 17th, 2012. I still miss her. Best friend I ever had, and after my childhood I needed one. She actually liked me.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home