Thursday, May 11, 2017

Paragon of health

“Before I forget,” I said to my doctor, at my biannual health review.
“I share dinner once a week with a widower named *** ******, who like me lost his wife to breast-cancer a few years ago.
He says I should remind you his wife was always badgering you to sell her your motorhome.”
“Yep,” my doctor said. “She always wanted that motorhome.”
“So what should I worry about?”
“Nothing.” he said. “Your blood-pressure’s good, you removed that cancerous prostate, all your bloodwork looks okay.”
“My wife did all that too,” I said. “But the big-C got her.
I wanna keep waking up for my dog. She counts on it. She wants me alive.
Okay, suppose the following: I eat a breakfast of cereal before setting out on a long drive to south Jersey,”
“Where to?”
“Swedesboro.”
“Never heard of it.”
“How about Camden, across from Philly?”
“Yes.”
“Haddonfield, Cherry Hill?”
“Cherry Hill yes.”
“When I was a kid it was ‘Delaware Township.’
Then President Eisenhower visited Cherry Hill Inn, so now it’s ‘Cherry Hill Township.’
As soon as I started driving I was utterly whacked.”
“Well of course. That cereal was a challenge. Ya can’t glom carbs first thing in the morning.”
“Been doin’ it all my life.”
“Can’t do it any more. It knocks you out.”
“So coming back I ate scrambled eggs instead of cereal.
No problem at all.”
“Yer answering yer own question. Ya gotta stop that cereal; yer old enough for carb digestion to wipe you out.
Eggs, my friend, protein.”
“What about cholesterol?”
“Your cholesterol is fine. Egg-Beaters.”
“Which is what I eat anyway.”
“See me again in six months!”
Now I gotta figger a system whereby I eat protein for breakfast instead of carbs.
Attain geezerdom, and totally revolutionize your eating.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home