Wednesday, January 04, 2017

“Yer lucky”

“Yer lucky you have a hobby,” says my counselor.
I don’t consider it a hobby. It’s an avocation; I’m a railfan.
I have been seeing a counselor for some time. I was advised to do so because I was so devastated by my wife’s death.
“You have no idea how many I see, retired, who find themselves bored silly — nothing to do.”
NOT THIS KID! I don’t have enough time to wedge my interests among my many appointments.
Mention railfanning to people and they think model trains. “My uncle has a layout in his basement.”
My favorite gauge it 4 feet 8&1/2 inches, the real thing. Model-trains are just toys.
There’s nothing like the real thing blasting past: total sensory overload.
There’s more to it than chasing trains. There’s also fiddling computers, which photography has become.
I fell into train photography; an attempt to depict the drama of a train passing.
Yesterday I was making new Excel® spreadsheets for my tax-accountant.
“I only do this once a year, so how can I make Excel do what I want?”
“Don’t save that! It’s goofy. Toss it and start over.”
My cleaning-lady was quietly cleaning my house while I tried things on this here laptop.
This laptop also gets used to fly these blogs. I suppose blogging is another counter to boredom.
Every morning I draft a blog as I eat breakfast. This very blog is an example.
I’m thrilled my muse still works, despite my stroke long ago.
It won’t shut up; it’s always cooking.
And enough gray matter remains to drive this here ‘pyooter.
I know too many who get exasperated and walk away.
Put all these things together, and I generate an annual train-calendar with my own photographs. My brother’s too, since he has become a railfan like me.
I’m waiting for those calendars. I got delayed. I usually send ‘em out as Christmas-presents.
It’s the old waazoo, the artist-jones: “if my name is on it, it’s gonna look good.”
No way is The Kid gonna watch Oprah or Dr. Phil. Boring!

• My beloved wife of over 44 years died of cancer April 17th, 2012. I miss her immensely. Best friend I ever had, and after my childhood I sure needed one. She actually liked me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home