Friday, June 17, 2016

At long last.......

“Time for the old geezer to see if I can still do this,” I said to Michelle Andrews, blasting away next to me on the AMT I was planning to try.
A Precor AMT-835.
“AMT” stands for Adaptive-Motion Trainer. It’s made by Precor; the Canandaigua YMCA exercise-gym has five.
It’s a combination elliptical and step-machine. You can vary your stride-length, much like running. It’s aerobic.
Michelle is the morning coach in the exercise-gym. She works until noon.
After that she works out herself. She’s in excellent shape.
I already warned Julie, the exercise-coach who replaces Michelle.
“Ya may hafta call an ambulance,” I told her.
It’s been at least nine months since I did aerobic exercise, maybe even a year.
I had a knee-replacement. The pain was so bad I had to give up the AMTs.
The AMTs aren’t the treadmills. I gave up on them long ago. They caused back-pain.
But the AMTs get my pulse up. Maximum for my age (72) is 148 beats per minute; go beyond that and ya explode.
I tried to top out at about 140.
I started blasting away. Michelle and I took the resistance to lowest; “I’ll see if I can do 10 minutes,” I said.
“Doin’ okay?” Julie asked.
“The challenge is not my knee,” I said. “It’s aerobic.”
“Yeah, it’s been months since you did this,” Michelle said.
The AMTs have pulse monitors. Mine read 100 beats per minute. “First time it’s been that high in months,” I cried. “On the bicycles I get 80.”
“One more minute!” I said.
“I could go beyond that, but I probably shouldn’t.”
“Well, I woulda advised five,” Michelle said; “but ya seem fine.”

•This was over a week ago. I tried again today, June 17th, 2016, doubling the resistance. Still 10 minutes. Pulse about 110. Wore me out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home