Sunday, October 11, 2015

Um, HELLO.........


65 turns west from the south.

About 400-500 yards north of my house, State Route 65 turns sharply left 90 degrees toward Honeoye Falls (“hone-eee-OYE;” as in “boy”).
It used to be a four-way intersection, and still is. It’s just that the highway department rebuilt and regraded it, so that traffic on 65 can be continuous.
The turn is banked.
What’s happening is that Ontario St. from Honeoye Falls is turning south on Pittsford-West Bloomfield Road.
I live on Pittsford-West Bloomfield Road, but it’s also State Route 65.
Go straight north through the intersection, and you continue on Pittsford-West Bloomfield Road.
Straight east from Ontario St. goes onto Baker Road.
It probably used to be a flat four-way intersection, but Route 65 made the turn, so the intersection was rebuilt.
Traffic turning has the right-of-way.
The other two streets have stop-signs.
But as a retired bus-driver I don’t trust that.
I may have the right-of-way, but I signal my turn. There’s always a chance some idiot will drift through a stop-sign and cut me off.
I was on my way to Honeoye Falls to buy groceries. To do so I have to make the turn.
I cranked on my signal, and noticed a blue-metallic Honda Odyssey van at the stop-sign headed south on Pittsford-West Bloomfield Road. She would need to cross the intersection.
Sure enough, despite having my signal on, and having the right-of-way, little miss Odyssey pranced slowly into the intersection cutting me off.
I slowed and waved.
She never saw me, or pretended she didn’t.
Thank goodness I once drove Transit-bus. My driving-instructor told me to expect anything.
“Oh Dora, look, a bus. PULL OUT, PULL OUT!


• “Honeoye Falls” is the nearest village to the west to where I live in western New York, a rural village about five miles away. I live in West Bloomfield, south of Rochester (NY).
• “Pittsford” is a ritzy suburb southeast of Rochester. The Erie Canal goes through it.
• For 16&1/2 years (1977-1993) I drove transit bus for Regional Transit Service (RTS) in Rochester, a public employer, the transit-bus operator in Rochester and environs. My stroke October 26th, 1993 ended that. I retired on medical-disability. I recovered fairly well.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home