Friday, September 26, 2014

iPhone follies

I let my iPhone update its operating-system.
Others I know don’t.
My allowing this is what I do with my laptop. Apple® is always sending me “software-updates,” usually security-upgrades and patches.
Used to be I didn’t allow them, but then a friend did it for me.
I decided I shouldn’t be so suspicious, despite a long-ago update that lunched apps I was using.
A while ago iPhone upgraded its operating-system, I think to iO7.
It installed a completely new user-interface, which included a security log-in to make your iPhone inoperable without your password.
A friend was incensed.
She couldn’t text without logging-in first.
It was okay for me. I don’t text that much anyway, and logging-in is maybe two seconds, more if you mistype, which I do occasionally.
So I plugged my iPhone in last night to charge, and it awoke saying a “software update,” iO8, was available.
Oh, dread!
I’m trying to go to bed.
Apple is requiring me to leave my phone on all night, so it can download and install a new operating-system.
What if some Granny misdials her rotary dialer, and calls me in the middle of the night? I’ve had wrong-numbers galore on that iPhone.
I like shutting that iPhone off; I don’t want it waking me at 3 a.m.
Okay, let the upgrade download, and I’ll let it install when I let my dog out around midnight.
So I clicked “install” when I let my dog out.
When I awoke my iPhone this morning, it was saying “hello” at me.
More set-up required. I couldn’t just check my e-mail.
Something about configuring iCloud.
WHAT?!
I guess I could use iCloud as an e-mail server as well as RoadRunner (which is here on the planet).
Leave me alone! All I wanna do is check my RoadRunner e-mail. I haven’t time for all these shenanigans.
Finally I got my RoadRunner e-mail, but not before canceling iCloud log-in.
One of my e-mails needed response, so I used my iPhone’s voice-recognition.
I spoke my response, and it immediately typed in each word as I spoke it.
That is, each word as it deduced it. I usually hafta do a tiny bit of editing.
Nice! Nice idea, Apple. A worthwhile software update.
There were other tricks iO8 did that were nice.
But every time I wanna check my RoadRunner e-mail, I gotta cancel iCloud log-in.
What a pain!
Another software update both good and bad.
Can’t they just leave well-enough alone?
My iPhone worked pretty-good before iO8.

• “RoadRunner” is Time-Warner’s e-mail.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home