Sunday, January 26, 2014

Windoze follies

This morning’s dream was the NBC national TV-news reporting computer e-mail was giving the wrong date, January 15th instead of January 26th.
“Oh well,” I thought to myself. “Nothing new.”
My wife, who’s been gone almost two years, had a Windows PC that got the time wrong every time Daylight-Savings went on or off.
Much to the dismay of all PC users, which include my siblings, I use an Apple Macintosh.
MACs use the standard government time-server, whereas apparently Microsoft, in its infinite wisdom, has some program embedded in Windows to automagically change the time.
My wife’s PC was also getting its time from that time-server, but Microsoft sent it awry.
Her PC would always be an hour-or-two off.
My wife would try anything and everything to get her PC to give the correct time.
Configuring this way and that!
But what she ended up doing was manually forcing her PC to agree with my MAC (gasp).
The fact I use a MAC has always signaled rebellion to my siblings.
That’s probably because long ago I said MAC was superior to PC, which it was years ago, but Windows seems to have caught up.
It’s gotten so when PC users think of switching to MAC, I advise against it.
“Stick with watcha know,” I say.
Macintosh is different. My wife always found it challenging.
I stick with MAC because that’s what I know.
It also seems you have to be a techno-maven to drive a Windows PC.
I’d find my wife configuring something under Windows, and wonder “What in the world?”
Years ago I happened to drive Photoshop on a PC.
Hourglass city!
My MAC was much faster.
.....And stable = less likely to crash than a PC.
But then my wife got Photoshop-Elements for her PC, and it seemed as fast and reliable as my MAC.
My newspaper went MAC. They started with PCs, but switched. MAC was the preferred publishing platform back then.
My wife used a Windows PC because that was what her employer used.
So now I get noisy accusations of stupidity and rebellion from my siblings. The fact I use MAC signifies I’m rebellious and of-the-Devil!
That I would have the awful temerity and unmitigated gall and horrific audacity to question their all-knowing wisdom is of-the-Devil.
Yet why could my wife’s PC never get the time right?
Were Jobs and Apple in league with the Devil? Was that time-server in Hell?

• My beloved wife of over 44 years died of cancer April 17th, 2012. I miss her dearly.
• “My newspaper” is the Canandaigua Daily-Messenger, from where I retired over seven years ago. Best job I ever had — I worked there almost 10 years (over 11 if you count my time as a post-stroke unpaid intern [I had a stroke October 26, 1993, from which I recovered fairly well]). (“Canandaigua” [“cannan-DAY-gwuh”] is a small city nearby where I live in Western NY. The city is also within a rural town called “Canandaigua.” The name is Indian, and means “Chosen Spot.” —It’s about 14 miles away.)
• RE: “my siblings.......” —I am the oldest, and somewhat unconventional.
• “Jobs” is Steve Jobs, founder and CEO of Apple Computer. Jobs is now dead.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home