Monday, September 05, 2011

The future is character-limited

“And there goes Heather,” the local TV-news reported; “carrying her wide-screen TV into her dorm room at Nazareth College.”
“Wide-screen TV?” we both exclaimed.
“Do they ever study at college?” I asked.
“College was the most meaningful experience in my life,” I said.
There indeed was Heather carting a large cardboard Sanyo box into the dorm; the box was about five feet by two feet by about six inches.
“We didn’t have no wide-screen TV,” I said. “In fact, we didn’t have TV at all.”
“Now they got TV, and microwaves, and mini-refrigerators,” my wife said. “And video-games on their Smartphones.
College has become a social gig. Critical thought is an aside.”
“Critical thinking is for wusses,” I noted.
“What about Wipe-Out and The Bachelorette?
Why college when I can Google?
College has become summer-camp.
The brain is no longer for weighing points-of-view. It’s for tweeting inanities, or fiddling Angry Birds.”
The future is character-limited.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home