Thursday, June 16, 2011

Too many techies

The other day (probably Monday, June 13, 2011) I received a mailed notification from Silver Sneakers, their tri-monthly report of how many times I worked out.
Silver Sneakers is a health organization for oldsters. MVP, my health-insurance, pays my YMCA membership though Silver Sneakers.
It’s a good idea. Maintain health by working out, and thereby reduce your cost to MVP.
Apparently Silver Sneakers keeps tabs of each time I visit the YMCA, and then sends a report of how many times I checked in compared to other Silver Sneakers members.
La-dee-DAH!
Don’t mind if they do, but I don’t really care that much.
I’m not competing. All I’m doing is keeping the old ticker going. (It happens I’m higher than average.)
I’d work out even without Silver Sneakers, and did before.
But MVP is paying my YMCA membership through Silver Sneakers. Saves me about $40 per month.
“Silver Sneakers progress-reports are going green; this is your FINAL printed report,” it blared.
“Silver Sneakers Online provides guidance and resources to help you achieve your health improvement goals. Visit Silver Sneakers Online today!”
Okay, not that I care that much, but I could view my progress-reports online.
I’ll try it.
“Please log in. Not a member? Click here!”
I thought I already was a member, but perhaps we’re talking about this site.
“Select user-name and password; verify password.
Security question: ‘What is the middle name of your father?’”
“What if my father didn’t have a middle name?” I shrieked.
And furthermore, why so security conscious? This isn’t a bank.
Techie alert! And the techies that designed this site weren’t oldsters.
“Lessee, we can do password protection and a security question, so let’s.”
I gotta jump through 89 bazilyun hoops to view my progress-report; imagine Grandma in Retirement City.
I gave up. So now I am a site-member, I guess, but don’t care about the online progress-report.
Just keep paying my YMCA membership.
So now I have a letter in front of me from Edward Jones, our financial advisor, suggesting I get online delivery of my statements.
Do I dare?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home