Tuesday, June 29, 2010

What were they thinking?



A week or two ago I played tag with a new Chevrolet Camaro on Interstate-390 into Rochester.
It was red, and we weren’t racing.
The Camaro was in the passing-lane, and passed doing about 70.
I was on cruise-control in the right-most lane doing 65.
The Camaro was slowed by traffic, so I caught up and passed.
Clear of traffic, the Camaro speeded up and passed me again.
Every time I see one I think “What were they thinking?”
It’s UGLY! It’s an affront to the fabulous Camaros of old.
It’s so slammed it looks ridiculous.
Its windows are gun-slits.
It looks like a machine-gun pillbox.
Normally, I’m a Chevy-man. But in this case I’ll take the new Mustang.
It looks much better, and sounds pretty good too.
“What a revoltin’ development this is.”
The stylists at General Motors are headed in the wrong direction.
They’ve taken cue from the new Chrysler 300, which is also slammed and has gun-slit windows.
But not as extreme as the new Camaro.
Sadly, the Chevy Volt is styled the same way.
It’s a great concept; a fully electric car.
Electric motors are much better at generating torque for acceleration.
And they aren’t idling, consuming resources when stopped.
But Chevrolet lost me with the Volt’s styling.
Perhaps the ferriners can supply an electric car I can see out of.
No submarines for this kid!

• “Interstate-390” is the main interstate into Rochester from the south.
• “What a revoltin’ development this is” is William Bendix on the “Life with Riley” TV program in the early ‘50s. (Bendix was Riley.)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home