Sunday, June 27, 2010

I give up!



“To see Jay’s favorite daily driver, go online to www.hemmings.com/editorial/Leno .”
“Okay, we’ll try it,” I said to myself.
I cranked the address into my Internet browser line.
“To see this story in full, you must first establish an account.”
“Oh, for heaven sake!” I thought. ”So much for easy access.”
I established an account with my usual password.
“To see this story in full, you must be an active subscriber.”
”I AM!” I shouted. ”I’m searching from your magazine. It’s right in front of me.”
“Account-number please.”
“I don’t know that. I shredded your mailing label.”
“You can add your account-number later.”
Back to square-one. ”To see this story in full, you must first log in.”
E-mail address and password. Off to another page......
Then to another, then back to square-one.
Around-and-around we went; ”To see this story in full, you must first log in.”
E-mail address and password. Off to another page......
Then to another page, and back to square-one.
MERRY-GO-’ROUND ALERT!
Finally, “I give up! I ain’t that desperate to read your silly story. How much time do I wanna blow getting your site to display the story?”
Jay Leno is the host of TV’s current “Tonight” show.
Leno is also very much a car-guy, and has a massive collection of cars, many of them classics.
Most pleasing to me are -1) his ‘65-‘66 turbocharged Corvair Corsa coupe, and -2) his 1966 Oldsmobile Toronado, the two greatest cars to ever come out of Detroit.
Although his Toro has been retrofitted with a 1,000 horsepower engine and rear-wheel-drive.
He also has a ‘51-‘54 Hudson Hornet, and a ‘65 Shelby GT350 Mustang, both of which are among his 10 favorites.
I can imagine him charging Mulholland Drive in the Hollywood hills in his Corvair, or even his GT350; but that Toro would be frightening.
A Toronado is a BIG car — passing-lane on Interstate-10.
Mulholland Drive was always a classic sportscar road — I’ve driven it myself.
Twisting and turning it climbs the Hollywood hills, and passes the famous Mulholland Drive Overlook far above Hollywood Bowl. The view from Mulholland Drive Overlook is used as a backdrop in 89 bazilyun TV settings, and is frightening to look at.
It displays the future. The vast bowl that is Los Angeles is aglitter with lights.
I’m agape with the power needed to energize that carpet of lights, although most of it is hydroelectric, I’m told.
At the expense of the Colorado River, a mere trickle where it meets the ocean.
Most of it was siphoned for irrigation, which includes grassy green lawns in desert.
Pride-and-joy of Leno’s collection is a 1955 Buick Roadmaster he got in 1972 from his mother-in-law for 350 smackaroos.
It’s since been restored, and retrofitted with a 620-horsepower engine transplant. —This sounds like a Big-Block Chevy.
One can imagine him charging the LA freeway system with it; that is, between idling in traffic-jams.
That Buick was his first classic car; the car he dated his wife-to-be in, and the car in which he showed up for his first “Tonight” show appearance, well before he took over the show himself.
Supposedly, Leno’s “favorite daily driver” is his Model-T Ford roadster; fast enough for most LA traffic, and able to climb in and out of potholes.
I remember getting stuck in Hollywood. Cheek-to-jowl with giant Hummers and Ford Expeditions at 1-3 mph. (And they all had gigantic chromed wheels!)
But only the first paragraph of “Leno’s favorite daily driver” was displayed. I couldn’t read it in full without first leaping various web-site barriers.
“Why do they always do that?” my wife commented, recounting her similar experience with QuickCooking magazine.
“Why does every web-designer require a log-in?” although I’m more inclined to think they’re just reflecting their customers.
“We can require a log-in, and thereby you can better know your online readers.”
“Great! Do it!”
Great idea. Recipes online instead of cluttering some file-folder.
But first you must log in, and second you must be an active subscriber.
“I am an active subscriber,” my wife cried.
Instead of recipes she gets bombarded with trial subscription solicitations.

• I too am a “car-guy, and I’ve been to Los Angeles, which Interstate-10 passes.”
• The Chevrolet “Big-Block” V8 was introduced in the 1965 model-year at 396 cubic-inches. It was made in various displacements: 402, 427 and 454 cubic inches. It’s still made as a truck-motor, but not installed in cars any more; although you can get it as a crate-motor, for self-installation. The Chevrolet “Small-Block” V8 was introduced at 265 cubic-inches displacement in the 1955 model-year. It continued production for years, first at 283 cubic inches, then 327, then 350. Other displacements were also manufactured.
• My wife of 42+ years is “Linda.”

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home