Friday, December 04, 2009

Now what?

The other day (Thursday, December 3, 2009) I initiated a Google-search to confirm spelling.
Often my word-processor doesn’t have a word (e.g. a name) in its spellcheck.
I also have an online dictionary, and sometimes even that is flustered.
I don’t use the Google search-window to the top-right in most browsers.
I’ve set up a toolbar folder with a Google subfolder.
Each Google search is in there as a “bookmark” (“favorite;” for you Internet-Explorer users — I use FireFox).
E.g. “basic search,” “blog search,” “image search,” “Google maps & satellite,” and “advanced search.”
I Google “Simon Legree” and notice my basic search-window is in Spanish.
Now what? What brought that on?

I tried the Google search-window in the top-right of my browser.
Same thing. Español.
Well, I had four years of Español in high school, so I can get by.
The window is the same as English, so I click the “Buscar con Google” button.
My wife has a Google-search on her PC (I drive MAC), and gets the same result: Español.
Is this some Google thing? Is it “Be kind to Spaniards” day?
We notice the Google address has “es” in it.
Delete that; http://www.google.com/
Same thing; Spanish.
It changed it to “es.”
We try various tricks.
One is to switch the search-results to “inglés.”
But the search-window is still Spanish.
Well, no biggie.
I can get by, but it is frustrating.
My wife researched the problem (via Google, of course), and got http://www.google.us.
Which renders http://www.google.com/webhp, and what I always got previously — in English.
So now I have to reconstruct all my Google toolbar bookmarks.
Ain’t technology wonderful?

• My wife of almost 42 years is “Linda.” She retired as a computer programmer.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger cg said...

Mistah H, try this before you rewrite all your links. Open the Google Search page, the one in Spanish. It doesn't matter what you search for, just get the Search page open. In the upper right corner look for the words Configuración de búsqueda. Click on the phrase. When the page comes up, look at the first line under Preferencias globales, the one that specifies Idioma de la interfaz. If the word in the box is español then you've found your problem. Change it in the drop down menu to inglés. Save your changes by clicking on the Guardar preferencias button near the bottom of the page. If the Idioma de la interfaz already says inglés, then your problem lies elsewhere, and you better get back to changing all those links. -cg

1:29 PM  
Blogger BobbaLew said...

Did that, Brother Charles.
All it does is change the search-results to Inglés.
The Google search-window is still Español.
Your suggestion doesn’t change the search-window
Gotta be http://www.google.com/webhp.

3:37 PM  
Blogger BobbaLew said...

And Google “Basic Search” seems to be the only one that is Español.

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home