Monday, November 30, 2009

Argh!

Fire up good old Facebook the other night (Sunday, November 29, 2009).
WOOPS! Forgot to fly the day’s blog-post note.
No problem! I have it saved.
Just copy/paste onto Facebook, and there it is.
Those familiar with Facebook know it has a blue navigation bar on top. It has a “home” link to the left, and another link of your name to the right.
Click “home” link, I don’t know exactly what this is, but I have it toggled to “News Feed.”
I see Allison (Cooper) has flown her MPN blog about Ollie on her page.
“Get another cat,” I comment.
Notice something else, and switch to that.
Refresh “home.”
Wait a minute! There’s Allison, but where’s my comment? Still in a word-processor document, so post it again.
Refresh again. I see my brother in Delaware has just posted a comment regarding a picture posted by his wife.
Where’s Allison? No Ollie blog at all.
“View older posts.”
Still no Allison.
What I see is posts from days ago, but no Allison.
For crying out loud!
I go to Allison’s page.
There’s the Ollie blog-link, and my comment double-posted.
Facebook madness!
(Whew!)
I delete one of the double-posts, and click back to “home.”
Still no Allison.
I toggle over to “live feed,” and there’s Allison, with my comment posted only once.
“I never know what is going on here,” I say.
My wife comes in. “I never do much with Facebook,” she says.
“I guess the difference in ‘live feed’ and ‘news feed’ is just the order stuff is in, but I don’t know.”
“I’ve stopped trying to figure out Facebook,” a Facebook friend in Virginia says,
“I guess I’ll pull the plug,” I say, exasperated. “Before it locks my computer.”
(It has.)

• “Allison Cooper” is an editor at Messenger-Post Newspapers, where I once worked. Messenger-Post Newspapers (“MPN”) has blogs on its web-site, and Allison is a blogger there. So am I. (“Ollie” was her cat; hit by a car and killed.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home