Sunday, August 09, 2009

“There will be a quiz!”

“You know what day it is.......” Linda’s 93-year-old mother would say.
“It’s Sunday, the day long-winded Linda calls me and talks for two hours.
I can’t even go to the bathroom!”
“Linda” is my wife of 41&1/2 years.
Like me she’s 65.
She calls her mother on Sunday.
Linda’s mother lives in a small apartment in a retirement center in De Land, FL.
She’s still pretty spry for 93. Macular Degeneration and had a minor heart-attack; but gets around pretty good.
Her apartment isn’t continuing-care.
I’ve been told how it goes.
Linda updates for about 15 minutes, and then her mother takes over yammering for two hours.
Names of people we don’t know get dropped as if we know them, and stories get repeated in the same phonecall.
Plus everything that was in her most recent letter.
Every once-in-a-while she takes a bathroom break, and a long hold ensues.
“Mother, this cellphone is beeping at me that the battery is low.....”
“Yada-yada-yada-yada...... Sylvia this, Flossie that.....”
“Hello? Hello? Still there? I guess my phone died.”
“Yada-yada-yada” at the Ethernet. (There will be a quiz!)

• We live in the small rural town of West Bloomfield in Western NY.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home