Tuesday, May 27, 2008

prom catastrophe

Last night’s (Monday, May 26, 2008; Memorial Day) local TV news reported a major prom catastrophe; not the usual drinking-and-driving deaths, but the falling of a giant light-fixture onto a high-school prom dance-floor.
The fixture was a giant truss-beam with many spotlights attached.
The Police thought teenagers were probably hanging off the truss-beam, but witnesses disagree.
Teenagers knocked out cold, and injured debutantes in mauve strapless gowns carted to the hospital in giant white Chevy ambulances.
A dance-floor lit by flashing red gumball lights instead of purple disco lights — yellow crime-scene tape around the fallen light fixture.
“Well, that wouldn’t have happened to us!” my wife and I both exclaimed. Neither of us attended our proms.
I should explain.
My father was a Christian zealot, and like most zealots at that time (this was the early ‘60s), thought dancing was of-the-devil.
So the thought of attending my prom never even crossed my mind.
Linda was different.
She was a class wallflower, so no one invited her to her prom.
My sister reversed the anti-dancing position of my father by doing a grandstand. She had been invited to the prom by a really nice guy by the name of Sergei Sirochnikoff (“Sir-GAY Sir-OTCH-nih-cough”), her first boyfriend.
My father wasn’t up to countering her noisy tirade, especially when my mother weighed in on my sister’s side.
When we first moved to Delaware a scion of our class visited and invited me to take part in class activities — like an upcoming sock-hop.
I had to defer, of course. I knew my father would go completely ballistic.
Later I helped DJ a sock-hop, and my father appeared at 11 p.m. pounding on the school door.
Other attendees were horrified.
“Man, your father is weird,” they said.
He dragged me out by my ear.

  • “Linda” is my wife of 40+ years.
  • “My sister” is my sister Betty (Elizabeth). She’s second after me, 62 (I’m the oldest at 64). She lives in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
  • Our family “moved to Delaware” in 1957, when I was age 13. We moved there from a south-Jersey suburb.
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home