Saturday, July 07, 2007

Aricept

So here we are the other night (Thursday, July 5, 2007), quietly watching the national TV-news.
It’s not like the old days, where we used to lob smelly socks at Tricky-Dick sonorously telling the nation their president wasn’t a crook.
A commercial-break begins with an ad for Aricept, the anti-Alzheimer's drug.
Take this here magic pill, and all-of-a-sudden your memory flows back. If you experience death, contact your physician immediately.
A doddering husband and wife appear at a piano on the screen. Wife is guiding hubby’s hands around the keyboard.
“We’ve been married 42 years,” she says.
“Wait a minute,” my wife says.
“We’re pushing 40 years, and my husband doesn’t look like some old bald-headed geezer headed for the grave.”
Similarly, my wife doesn’t look like some simpering douchebag, puttering tentatively about.
My parents made 53 years, and didn’t look this bad when they made 50.
“Dad sure looks a lot better,” some nattering daughter says.
Sure; if he’s capitulated to doing things her way.
I keep getting reminded that I ain’t in that bad shape for 63. People patronize my wife’s post-office using walkers with oxygen. —And they’re only in their early 60s.

  • “Tricky-Dick” is of course President Richard Nixon. Following the Watergate break-in, he told the nation “Their president wasn’t a crook.”
  • RE: “my wife’s post-office......” My wife works part-time at the local post-office.
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home