Monday, May 21, 2007

tacos

Last night (Sunday, May 20, 2007) we had tacos for supper.
I’ve yet to feel positive about this, since I have no idea exactly what tacos are supposed to taste like.
My only experience with tacos is Taco-Bell (BONG......), and that was long ago.
This is our third or fourth attempt at homemade tacos, prompted by two things: a) we had a mix, and b) at our first attempt Taco-Bell was under investigation for delivering tainted food.
To me, they only qualify as tacos because they’re served in soft tortillas.
What’s inside is a gooey mass of cooked ground-beef in packaged taco-seasoning, to which we add chopped lettuce and tomato.
Last night I mixed in the remainder of the Ortega taco-sauce Marcy recommended.
Marcy is an authority on Mexican food, since her mother was a high-school Spanish-teacher. Marcy also lived a while in Los Angeles, a hotbed of Mexican food.
Ortega taco-sauce is what I would buy, as it tastes like Taco-Bell’s (BONG......) “border sauce.”
But Taco-Bell is a fast-food joint; although to me better than most.
Our homemade tacos always seem to have too much filling.
This time we ate two tacos each instead of one.
But even then; too much filling — I think our first attempt half got put into the freezer.
And mixed in the lettuce cooks down and contributes to gooiness.
We also add shredded cheese, which melts.
Despite that, our grand experiment will continue. Taco-Bell (BONG......) is an extra trip, and has too much cheese.
I suppose the onliest place to get a decent taco is El Pacifico restaurant north of Canandaigua. I’ve attended quite a few Messenger parties there, and they serve authentic Mexican fare.

  • “Messenger” is the Canandaigua Daily-Messenger newspaper, where I once worked.
  • “Marcy” worked next to me at the Canandaigua Daily-Messenger newspaper.
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home