Tuesday, May 08, 2007

T-shirts

A wide variety of T-shirts find flower at the Canandaigua YMCA.
Most are athletic or college T-shirts, although someone wears a Southern-Comfort T-shirt, and another guy wears “Protons have mass — I didn’t know they were Catholic.”
The runners wear the T-shirts given out at races: “Bill Kehoe Memorial Fun-Run 10K,” with 89 bazilyun sponsors listed on the back in tiny graphics, usually including a bank and a realty.
I wear my various motorcycle and railroad T-shirts.
The other day a guy asked what “Norton” stood for.
“Well,” I said; “the first motorcycle I ever owned was a Norton.”
“Furthermore, the Art Carney character on “The Honeymooners” was “Norton.”
“If manhole covers were pizza,” I said; “we’d be in heaven.” That’s a Norton-line.
“If ya wanna play golf,” Ralph bellows; “the first thing ya gotta do is address the ball.”
Norton looks down at the ball, and says “hello, ball.”
Yesterday (Monday, May 7, 2007) a girl was at the Y with a “Black-Diamond” T-shirt on.
The “Black Diamond” was Lehigh-Valley Railroad’s premier Buffalo-to-New York City express passenger-train.
I never did get to see if “Black-Diamond” was the train, since doing so would have meant staring at the girl’s breasts.
The YMCA is not NASCAR. Boorish behavior is discouraged.
I generally don’t say anything about T-shirts.
A guy appeared wearing a “Camden F.D.” T-shirt. I kept to myself.
Memories of my experience at Weggers; where some poor lady was wearing a “where the heck is Sea Isle City anyway” T-shirt.
“I know where Sea Isle City is,” I said. “It’s between Ocean City and Wildwood.”
Never saw that T-shirt again.
And then there are my various sickening encounters at Weggers pertaining to my Horseshoe Curve jacket.
Any number of times I’ve been collared by a flaccid, googly-eyed railfan geek.
“Best railfan spot on the entire planet,” I say, trying to move on.

  • The city of “Camden” N.J., across from Philadelphia, is where I was born.
  • “Weggers” (Wegmans) is a supermarket we shop at.
  • “Sea Isle City” and “Ocean City” and “Wildwood” are all south-Jersey seashore resorts.
  • Horseshoe Curve,” in Altoona, Pennsylvania, is by far the BEST railfan-spot on the entire planet.
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home