Saturday, December 09, 2006

inlaw stories

For the past two weeks I have found myself entertained at the PT-gym by various lurid inlaw stories.
My Physical-Therapist, who has her head screwed on pretty straight, and I think very highly of, has apparently married into a family that is “crazy” — her word.
  • The first is the story of the vaunted inside of a coffee-cup (or coffee-mug).
    Her mother-in-law requires that all coffee-containers have a shiny inside, or they are (drum roll here) not usable.
    This has led to contretemps at restaurants, since often a restaurant will pour coffee into a cup with a matte-finished inside.
    So the Physical-Therapist was required to search out Christmas-present coffee-mugs with a shiny inside.
  • This leads to story number-two.
    The Physical-Therapist and mother-in-law were apparently at the mall searching out coffee-mugs.
    “I don’t care what color they are,” mother-in-law said; “as long as they match my decor.”
    REPUBLICAN-LOGIC ALERT: “I don’t care.... blah-blah-blah; as long as blah-blah-blah.”
    “See how accommodating I am?”
  • Then there is the story of the Christmas-present requests.
    Inlaws went through catalogs and apparently circled requested presents costing $1,000 or more.
    “Now you do the same,” they said. “Just limit your requests to $10.”
    Again: REPUBLICAN-LOGIC ALERT: “We’re entitled to grandiose gifts; you’re entitled to peanuts.”
  • This leads to story number-four: the great coffee-maker caper.
    Apparently the inlaws contacted their son (Physical-Therapist’s husband), indicating a specific coffee-maker they wanted.
    “Now you go to that store,” they said; “and get us that coffee-maker, and we’ll be happy.”
    Hubby got up early to purchase that coffee-maker, got it, and brought it home.
    “Oh, we hope you didn’t buy that coffee-maker,” his parents said. “We saw another even better and bought it ourselves.”
    The Physical-Therapist, ever the diplomat, suggested returning the requested coffee-maker.
    “Nope,” hubby said. “They’re eating it.”
    -“What is it with these people?” I said.
    “I’ve run into thousands of Boomers who think they’re entitled to the Moon.”
    “I run into them at Weggers: Granny blocking the aisles with her powered cart; another bunting all-and-sundry; a 350-pound woman wearing shorts (‘I sure am sexy’).”
    “They’re not that old,” the Physical-Therapist said. “They’re in their early 50s.”
    Well, to me my kid-brothers are at the tailend of the baby-boom, ‘57 and ‘58; and they’re 48 and 49.
    I don’t consider my kid-brother’s wife, born in 1960, a Boomer; nor my baby-sister, born in ‘61.
    (Yet I myself am castigated as a Boomer even though I was born in 1944; before the war ended.)
    Here we are navigating down 5&20 toward Canandaigua and we approach a major intersection with a state-highway angling in from the north. It’s not that busy; so only has a stop-sign.
    Three vehicles are at the stop-sign: a semi followed by a Chevy Colorado pickup followed by a black Jeep Wagoneer.
    The semi ambles slowly into the intersection, which is okay, since we’re still 300 yards away.
    Now to see if the Colorado does the same; and it does, which is also okay, since we’re still 100 yards away, although closing.
    I hope the Wagoneer has enough sense to wait, but I have my foot on the brake.
    Yep, sure enough; the Wagoneer cuts right in front of me as I enter the intersection, requiring me to slam on the brakes.
    “What are you talking about? I’m entitled to cut you off. I voted for Dubya, and I’m a Boomer!”
  • 1 Comments:

    Blogger Abby said...

    woo, wondeful! I also have the same idea on home decor.

    1:11 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home