Monday, November 20, 2006

chili

Last night (Sunday, November 19) we had chili for supper.
Usually I make chili with French’s mild Chili-O mix in a quart of smashed canned tomatoes.
I add two heaping tablespoons of chili-powder, precooked Kidney and Pinto beans and ground 98% beef. It makes two meals (four servings).
The Chili-O mix is too salty, but every alternative we’ve tried was wrong.
Most have oregano, which makes it unbearably bitter; particularly Carroll Shelby Texas chili mix.
Yesterday we had a chili kit I probably received as a retirement gift.
It talked something about using tomato-sauce, but I preferred to use the smashed canned tomatoes.
It had a huge amount of chili-powder, so produced a darkish mixture that was too liquid.
There also was a large package of minced onion, which is a gamble, but I added it.
It was unbearable. It also had oregano. We decided to add a packet of Chili-O.
That made it bearable, but it was still rather horrid. At least it was less liquid and more like chili.
What I wish is that we could make it from scratch like the Chili-O, without the salt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home