Friday, November 10, 2006

Sunoco

I’ve noticed a new bumper-sticker is finding circulation, or rather it is appearing on the backs of cars (and trucks): “Sunoco, official gasoline of NASCAR;” about 4X5.
Well, at least it’s not “official toothpaste,” “official telephone” or “official soup.”
And never mind about NASCAR and its manufactured competition, which like me a fellow-employee at the mighty Mezz poo-pooed as a sham. (Cue Bluster-King: I predict use of the words “clueless” and “history-major.” BROKEN-RECORD ALERT!)
At least it’s racing; even if it is racing taxi-cabs.
But I wouldn’t touch a Sunoco-sticker with a ten-foot pole; not after what happened a few years ago.
Some time ago, probably before the stroke, Sunoco double-charged me for a gasoline-purchase. I called them up, and they dutifully removed the erroneous charge.
Then a few years ago, after the stroke, they did it again. I called again, and got a mindless management minion.
“What if you’re just trying to dodge [not Plymouth] a purchase?” she asked.
“It’s the identical amount as a valid purchase,” I protested.
“Again, I think you’re just trying to dodge a purchase,” she said.
“Listen,” I said. “There are plenty of gasoline-retailers in the area. I don’t have to buy Sunoco. I can pay the erroneous charge to maintain our pristine credit-rating [about $20], but it’s the last money you’ll ever see.”
The gas-station up the street is Mobil, as is the one in Farmington on the way to the Thruway. The one in Bloomfield is a CitGo, as is the one in Honeoye Falls.
Toomeys, on 5&20, is Sunoco, but I only go there if I have to, and don’t use my Sunoco-card. Never again. Haven’t in years. Visa only.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home