Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Gone with the Wind

—“Another Scarlett” I said to a girl with hair dyed so red it normally woulda turned me off.
I was entering my Honeoye Falls supermarket and there she was checking out the lost-dog notices, etc. That supermarket has a community bulletin-board.
What did I just do readers? Just by saying something I told that girl I liked what I saw.
Our eyes met, and hers twinkled.
(“LUKE!”)
She liked that I liked her smile.
Her over-dyed hair went background, and we began talking.
GOODIE; he likes talking with me.”
Her smile was fantastic.
“Scarlett O’Hara,” I said. “But I can’t remember the name of the movie.”
She took out her SmartPhone and Googled Scarlett O’Hara. She wasn’t turning me off.
“Gone with the Wind,” she said.
“That’s it!” I cried. “Scarlett with two ‘T’s’.
I had a dog named Scarlett; and one of the lifeguards at Canandaigua’s YMCA swimming-pool is named Scarlett,” I said.
“Her red hair is real, and my dog was an Irish Setter.
I always wonder why I never get smacked.
The other day it was an overly exposed teenager whose father never appeared to send me packing.
I’d made it a point to look only at her eyes instead of down her top.
That girl in my supermarket wanted to talk.
These extraordinary female encounters pile up.
I still can visualize all the sparkling eyes.

• I coulda gone behind that bare-skinned teenager, but there wasn't enough room.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home