Wednesday, January 13, 2021

“Happy to see ya!”

—“There’s one person I know!” I yelled at ********, queen of the Canandaigua YMCA exercise-gym.
I was walking through a hallway to the swimming-pool locker-room, and ******** was coming toward me with a trash-basket.
Smile-smile-smile-smile-smile; we were all wearing masks, but her eyes told me.
I know ********, and ******** knows me.
I began working out in that exercise-gym years ago, when my wife was still alive, and before that exercise-gym was remodeled = new equipment, etc.
At first ******** was intimidating, and I didn’t know she was a YMCA employee.
But then my wife died, and ******** and I became friends as I continued working out in that exercise gym.
But my balance began to degrade, and my pet-groomer mentioned that to a lady who runs aquacise in that YMCA’s swimming-pool. (She uses the same groomer.)
So I stopped working out in the exercise-gym, and switched to the swimming-pool.
I don’t see ******** much anymore, but occasionally — like in the pool area, or at my local supermarket.
She always seems thrilled to see me; like we know each other.
So, “happy to see ya!” Except what I shoulda said was “you’re smiling. Mask or not I can tell. Your eyes tell me!”
I wish I’d done that; she’s a really good friend, and she deserves it. She should know I really like her.
70 years late, and not much time left, Yr Fthfl Srvnt is learning what a joy it is to talk to someone. I have others too.
And much to my pleasant surprise, most are ladies.
I’ve tried men too, but often they get defensive or throw that macho-crap at you.
Women don’t, even complete strangers. Strike up a conversation with the lady, and OFF-WE-GO!
Years ago I woulda avoided ******** completely = I woulda never said a word to her.
Things are much different now, I have since learned that talking to someone, especially a lady, can be thrilling.
They laugh and smile at me, which I find immensely attractive.
This contradicts my sordid childhood: “No lady will associate with you! You are despicable!”
So, “Happy to see ya ********, and thanks for hanging with me despite my total inexperience at socializing.”
(******** isn’t the only one.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home