Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Wings folded

“Have you developed any new allergies since your last visit?”
That was my Nurse-Practitioner the other day prior to my semiannual physical at Victor Family Practice.
“Do I say this, or don’t I?” I thought to myself.
“Women,” I said.
“You better be glad I’m not giving you a shot,” the N.P. said: a lady I’m good friends with.
I felt bad.
Yrs Trly has decided to fold his wings; to no longer be so forthcoming with women.
The fact I was having so much success was surprising. You all know I’m a graduate of the Hilda Q. Walton School of Gender Relations. “No pretty girl will talk to you,” yet they were talking to me.
I had various coaches. “Bob, if you like walking your dog so much with ****** ****, you should tell her that!”
After perhaps an hour of arguing, “Okay ******, if you say so.” It fell flat, as well it should. Every time a male suggests a lady hang out with him, the boy/girl schtick rears its ugly head.
“Uh-ohhhh. He’s after me!”
My biggest mistake was taking that advice.
“She’s lonely, Bob,” said another.
“I don’t think so,” but after three dog-walks in quick succession, and the third time it seemed she was waiting for me.....
“Maybe she is lonely,” I said to myself. “Maybe I should be more forthcoming.”
BIG MISTAKE; as if I had any idea what I was doing. Clearly clueless after 44 & 1/2 years of happy marriage to one who liked me from the get-go.
Three times I suggested to an older widow she join us bereaved for our weekly eat-out.
That crashed each time. “Three strikes and yer out,” I could say, but to me it’s the boy/girl schtick.
I been on-my-own the seven years since my wife died. I do my own laundry, I fill and empty the dishwasher, and I’m the grocery-getter. I also cook quite a few of my meals.
I’m not lonely or bored. I enjoy female companionship, but I don’t need it. If anything I would probably bore a lady.
So no more forthcoming toward women by this dude. That widow can ask when and where we next eat out, and I’ll smile and tell her. I’ll strike up conversations.
But I ain’t askin’ her to join us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home