Monday, November 27, 2017

More insanity

Bopping west across northeastern PA on Interstate-80, krooze at 75 or so, on GPS programmed for the Williamsport Wegmans....
....My iPhone mount dislodged and dumped everything to the car-floor.
One more reason to visit Mighty Verizon. The other is I left behind the Apple charging module for my iPhone. I left it in an outlet at my brother’s.
I was driving back from northern DE after a Thanksgiving celebration with relatives in south-Jersey. I stay at my brother’s in DE, then drive over to my south-Jersey relatives. About 15-20 minutes, including crossing the Delaware River.
My iPhone (a “6”) etc, are from a local computer-store. That store was once a Verizon outlet. Verizon since pulled-the-plug on local shops. All things Verizon are now centralized in a gigantic Verizon outlet.
Full of young hot-shot vipers. I dread visiting Verizon. Some help they are. They wanna ply me with junk.
So back home I visited Mighty Verizon, intending to buy -1) a charging module, and -2) another iPhone mount.
I was accosted by a young hot-shot with a glistening red bow-tie atop a dark plastic suit, hair eloquently coifed and greased.
“What can I do for you?” he asked. Translated, “Please deposit your checkbook and wallet with all credit-cards on this table, and we’re happy to help!”
“All I want is another Apple charging module,” I said. (Ya mean I gotta parry this viper just to get it?)
“We got this charger over here,” he said, lifting a large plastic case off the wall.
“How much is that?” I asked. It looked like overkill.
“35 dollars,” he said.
“For cryin’ out loud,” I said. “Is it gold-plated?”
My brother found my charging module. If he mails it back, it won’t cost me 35 smackaroos.
Usually I try to be diplomatic. But 35 dollars for something that may cost a dollar to produce?
Get real, baby!
“Not yet,” I said. “Lemme show you the other thing I need. A mount similar to what I forgot to bring in. I hafta go get it.”
I stepped outside and returned with my failed mount.
Suddenly the next hot-shot on deck swooped in — I felt like I was at a car-dealer.
But my viper interjected. I was his fish. He led me to his cubicle. —What do I need a cubicle for? Again, the car-dealer jones.
He showed me an alternative car-mount that sucked to the windshield. 30 bucks.
He offered a 10% discount if I bought both the mount and the charger,
PASS! (I did the math. Total $65 less $6.50 is still $58.50. If I paid my brother to mail back my charger, I doubt it would cost $28.50.
So, “just the mount,” viper-boy. “No discount.” I ain’t linin’ yer pocket.
I worry about running out of insanity to blog, but something always happens.

• “Wegmans” is a large supermarket-chain based in Rochester. I often purchase groceries in their Canandaigua store. They pretty much dominate the Rochester grocery-biz, but are now expanding throughout the northeast. They have a store in Williamsport PA. I use GPS to get to it, because getting there through Williamsport is a little hairy.
• Verizon is my cellphone service.
• Williamsport is home of the Little-League World Series.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home