Saturday, October 07, 2017

Can I back out?

For the past couple years, Yr Fthfl Srvnt has been driving a Smartphone.
I started with a Motorola Droid-X, but quickly tired of its many foibles, like calls to strangers in the middle of the night.
And complete removal of the battery to reboot the phone. which I had to do often.
The Motorola Droid-X was “Android,” Google’s Smartphone platform at that time.
My brother in northern DE suggested an Apple iPhone, like he and his wife.
This despite my siblings telling me Apple was the Devil incarnate, that I’m “rebellious” to use an Apple computer.
“Jesus uses a Windows PC,” I was told.
I started with a -5, then I upgraded to the iPhone-6 I now have. Each came with a contract renewal, so didn’t cost much. My cellphone service is Verizon.
Every couple months Apple debuts a new operating-system for iPhone. I dutifully installed each upgrade as it came.
The other night they wanted to upgrade to iOS11, so I eventually let ‘em.
As always, things are different, but in my humble opinion worse.
Where, pray tell, are the scroll functions for voice-recognition text and e-mail?
I also use VR to do my grocery lists.
Ya know, there are people out there, me for example, who like to fix the errors voice-recognition makes. VR is pretty good, but unlike many I like to make my texts and e-mails readable (gasp) instead of challenging.
For example, if I say “too,” VR will put “2.” The average dork can figger that out, but sometimes VR is so off-the-mark what I meant is lost.
With no scroll-buttons I can’t just scroll to the fix. I gotta hope my finger locates the curser nearby, then delete everything after the error. Do that, and I’m doubling my time to fix things.
Plus iOS11 wants my thumbprint just to log-in. It gives me the option of password log-in, but to go to that is an added step = five seconds.
Five seconds; La-dee-dah! Except that’s five seconds 10.6 didn’t require. 11 thereby slowed phone operation five seconds.
So goes instant gratification!
So “do the thumbprint log-in, dude.”
I did, a few months ago. It was so erratic I switched back to password log-in.
Maybe it’s better now, but I have better things to do than spend an hour setting that up.
What upsets me most is loss of the scroll function.
Can I go back? Uninstall 11 and go back to 10.6?
iOS upgrades need a “command-Z.”

• “Command-Z” is a computer key stroke that reverses what you just did = a mistake, for example. My word-processor has multiple “command-Zs.” —Upgrading to iOS11 was a mistake.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Robert Patrick Hartle said...

Good write-up on the old tech conundrum. I never knew how co-dependent I was on these digital ecosystems until I had to replace an expensive laptop battery. I left it at the shop until payday, almost 2 weeks! I struggled to find places and tasks for my hands which were now ambling about my side nervously with no buttons or keys to play with. Since that time back in July, I've gone back in my ecosystem of preference (MacOS) pretty deep... forcing myself to take breaks and walks.. hey look at that nice iPhone in the Window... oh no here I go... by Christmas hopefully!

10:29 PM  
Blogger Robert Patrick Hartle said...

Yep I'm stuck! The Good news is.. there is no cure (like alcoholism) so I don't have to bother getting help except from the online tech support gurus who keep me chugging right along.

10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home