Saturday, January 19, 2013

PASS!

Yesterday (Friday, January 18th, 2013) I got another one of those letters from Rev. Max Bishop, Bereavement-Counselor at Ontario-Yates Hospice.
Ontario-Yates Hospice is the service we used when my wife died.
Ontario and Yates are both NY counties — I live in Ontario County.
My beloved wife of over 44 years died of cancer April 17th, 2012. I miss her dearly.

“Dear Hospice Family:

Many months have passed since the death of your loved one. It may seem like the death occurred yesterday or it may seem a distant event. Some people believe it takes four full seasons for grief to ease. For many it takes much longer.”

Why not “Many moons?”
I couldn’t help thinking does he keep these letters stored on his computer hard-drive? Already composed and ready-to-print?
“Dear Hospice Family” makes it generic, although you could program your computer to put “Dear Mr. Hughes,” or whoever, in its place.

“We remind you again that we are here for you if you need someone to talk with. Just talking is good therapy.”

PASS!
Get real,
Rev. Max.
I tried calling you once, long ago.
At the six-months anniversary of my wife’s death, when your tickler suggested you send a similar letter.
I called and got your machine. I dutifully left a message, and your machine said you’d call back.
You never did, as promised.
I don’t know if things are any different than they were last October, but I’m not inclined to find out.
Heaven-forbid I interrupt your donut-break!

• “Mr. Hughes” is me, “Bobbalew,” “Bob Hughes.”
• “Tickler” is an old bank term, but may apply other places. It was a book that indicated when loans came due for renewal. It indicated future events. (I worked at a bank in the late ‘60s after I graduated college.)

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry, Bob.

People are going to let you down.

Fact.

This is a lesson for all of us.

Thank you for reminding me.

I will strive to remember this and NOT do this to others.

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home