Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Fast and loose with the law

A while ago my wife got a free and unsolicited DVD from one of her quilting magazines, with instructions to mail it back if she didn’t want it, or pay for it if she did.
“They can’t do that!” she said. “I didn’t ask for that DVD.”
A disclaimer was included: “Because you didn’t ask for this special DVD, you don’t have to participate or send it back, and you can consider it a free gift.”
“Okay, free gift it is,”she said. “I ain’t payin’ for it, and I ain’t sendin’ it back.”
So began a torrent of bills from the quilting magazine, demanding we pay for it or send it back.
Finally, in exasperation, as if we had no better to do, my wife called the quilting magazine, wondering why we were getting billed.
Around-and-around she went. (“Please hold during the silence: Boom-chicka, boom-chicka, boom-chicka.”)
She was able to get us off their ne’er-do-well list.
The other day (probably Monday, December 12, 2011) I got a free and unsolicited DVD from Trains Magazine, with a request I pay for it or mail it back.
Here we go again!
Again, the disclaimer: “Because you didn’t ask for this special DVD, you don’t have to participate or send it back, and you can consider it a free gift.”
Worst of all, this was good old Trains, where I’ve been a constant subscriber since 1966.
David P. Morgan (DPM), the editor then, is probably spinning in his grave.
David P. Morgan was why I subscribed to Trains.
DPM’s appreciation of trains was identical to mine.
He also had a way of considering more than drama.
As such, he made me think.
More was at play than just liking trains.
DPM eventually died, and was replaced by various editors that weren’t DPM, but now the magazine is in pretty good hands, although it isn’t DPM.
But a free and unsolicited DVD?
Sorry Trains, but this is stooping.
And I ain’t fallin’ for it.
Fast and loose with the law!
Will I cancel my life-long subscription?
Probably not.
But you’re on notice, Trains.

(At least they’re paying the return postage......)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home