Saturday, November 27, 2010

Toy-expert

Yesterday morning (Friday, November 26, 2010) we had our radio on, tuned to Dubya-Hex-Hex-Hi, the classical-music radio-station out of Rochester we listen to.
The national news came on at 7 a.m.
I forget what they were reporting about, but a “toy-expert” was brought in to give an opinion.
Toy-expert,” we both cried.
Probably the main reason our marriage has lasted almost 43 years is we think alike.
“I wonder what a ‘toy-expert’ is?” I said. “What does is take to become a ‘toy-expert?’”
The female toy-expert began yammering.
“Yada-yada-yada-yada!”
Years ago, at the Mighty Mezz, I wondered what it took to be an expert.
My good friend Bill Robinson, who was in the cubicle next to mine at that time, picked right up.
I’ll be kind enough to not detail his response, lest someone blow me in for inappropriate content.
The gist of what he said was that you had to be a jerk to be an expert.
Every Christmas a lady weighs in on the local TV about unsafe toys.
Toys that threaten the livelihood of our children.
Her implication is the toy-manufacturers have no shame; that child-safety is second to profit.
I’m 66 years old.
During my childhood I had an Erector-set.
It was loaded with tiny nuts and bolts, etc., that could be perceived as a choking-hazard.
Yet here I am! I managed to survive despite that lady not being around at that time. —To get my mother all riled about profit and child-safety.
What riled my mother was Commies; that they might hit our sleepy suburb with an Atomic Bomb.
And “Secular Humanists” taking over our church.
That choking-hazard Erector-set was the best toy I had.
I built who-knows-what with it, and thereby became rather handy.
My 1972 Chevrolet Vega was sort of an Erector-set.
I generally fix lawnmowers myself.
I wonder what a “toy-expert” would think of an Erector-set?

• “Dubya-Hex-Hex-Hi” is WXXI.
• The “Mighty Mezz” is the Canandaigua Daily-Messenger newspaper, from where I retired almost five years ago. Best job I ever had. Bill Robinson was an editor there during my employ. (“Canandaigua” [“cannan-DAY-gwuh”] is a small city nearby where we live in Western NY. The city is also within a rural town called “Canandaigua.” The name is Indian, and means “Chosen Spot.” —It’s about 15 miles away.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home