Wednesday, July 22, 2009

“Is there any way to delete ‘friends?’”

I fire up my Facebook tab about a week ago.
My FireFox Internet browser lets me do that.
“Do you want FireFox to save all your open tabs?” (I keep five permanently open.)
“Well sure; saves me logging in.”
My Facebook comes on. I click on the Robert Hughes Home-page, apparently a feed of every Facebook post every “friend” has ever made.
I see the usual posts of “friends” I no longer care about.
I switch to “edit friends.”
“Is there any way to delete friends?” I ask. Seems there isn’t.
I have 29 friends. Not the 89 bazilyun of some of my friends.
Some of my “friends” were made when I first joined Facebook, and didn’t know that was happening. (FAST-ONE ALERT)
89 bazilyun potential “friends” were paraded past me, including people that once worked at the mighty Mezz, and moved on before I retired.
I unknowingly made them “friends,” not knowing that as a result I’d get deluged with seemingly pointless information I’ll never look at.
E.g. somebody’s cookout, a family reunion, or a visit to who-knows-what.
Pictures and videos of every burp and fart and nosepick.
Okay, it’s bad enough my e-mail gets swamped with comments by complete strangers on the Facebooks of “friends.”
Delete-delete-delete!
But I can’t delete friends I don’t want.
All I can do is add more “friends.” (How stupid is that?)
Behind all this is my family’s web-site, which only costs six bucks per year.
It throws a “what’s new” at me, which is a lot quicker than wading through a Facebook Home-page.

• “Robert Hughes” is of course me.
• The “mighty Mezz” is the Canandaigua Daily-Messenger newspaper, from where I retired over three years ago. Best job I ever had.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home